Thread: Brass Spline back saw

Brass Spline back saw

I recently bought a very old marples & sons brass backed back saw. It's straight. The sharpening on the blade is terrible but i can address that. The main issue, possibly, is that the back spline is curved, as in the heel and toe are higher then the middle of the spline. It's pretty heavy brass. I'm wondering what would be the best way to address the curve? Or as long as the blade is straight not even mess with it and leave it as is?

Thanks for any insight.

Mike

As long as the saw plate is straight and without waves, I would leave it alone. I have a saw with a similar condition-looks like an old beat-up sway back horse. I sent it to one of the reputable sawsmiths on forums at the time for his opinion and he said leave it alone, just sharpen it. I did. It cuts straight. But everytime I look at it, it still bugs me!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    I would use it as is. If it ever gives you a problem. I would place a drill bit, the size being the amount of bow in the center, and try straightening it by clamping the ends. I little heat on the back might help.

Blog Entries
    A wise man never tries to fix what isn't broken.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

thanks everyone. I will leave it as is.

Just think of it as ‘breasted’, people pay more for that!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!