Thread: A Quick Organizational Project

Blog Entries

A Quick Organizational Project

My most used group of braces has been stored in a pile on a shelf:

Bracing Situation.jpg

This structure was one of my first projects using a dovetailed drawer. It was made many years ago. It was used for shelving around my computer and its components. It has been repurposed as a shop shelf for over a decade.

The first step of this project was cutting hollows for the brace handles and in the case of the corner brace to hold the chuck.

The Layout.jpg

The lumber came from a pallet. This piece has been hanging around my shop since the 1990s. The wood was set across a pair of saw horses to get an idea of what the spacing should be. 3" centers works well.

The hollows for the braces were bored to 1-1/4". The chuck on the corner brace needed 1-3/8". This was done on a drill press with Forstner bits. A fence was used for uniform positioning.

Here is a tip for using a Forstner bit on a drill press when drilling less than a full circle. Set your belts to the highest speed and use a fence.

Part of the planning for this included determining where to place the rack. After fiddling around by hand using a tape measure a couple pieces of scrap were cut to 7-1/2" and used to test the concept:

Checking the Plan.jpg

Next a couple pieces of scrap were placed under the temporary rails to see how raising it a little would do. Turns out 7-1/2" was the right placement for the needed clearance:

Finished Rack.jpg

Here is a detail of the holders made for the Corner Brace and the Millers Falls #2 egg beater drill:

Detal of Holders for Corner Brace & Millers Falls #2.jpg

This actually made it possible to store a few more items on the shelf. It is unlikely a 4" or 16" brace is going to find its way into my shop, but the layout has room for them if they do show up.

The rack is held by two 2" #10 screws at each end.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 01-19-2019 at 6:04 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Wow Jim you must do a lot of boring projects. Oops I mean you must do a lot of boring “on” your projects Nice work
    Jim

Nice proportions! They looks very happy in their new configuration.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Wow Jim you must do a lot of boring projects. Oops I mean you must do a lot of boring “on” your projects Nice work
    Jim
    Thanks Jim, now for all the other braces that live in another pile. It may be time to let a few of them go. Mostly the ones in that group to get used are the 8" swingers. They come in handy when doing a project with a lot of different steps:

Batch of Braces.jpg

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I like the rack Jim! I find organizing tools really helps out my work/workflow.

Question. Is it your personal preference to have a wide range of braces, or is that range necessary to handle a wide(r) range of holes? I've never had a brace, so please forgive my ignorance here.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Every thing in its place. Well done!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I like the rack Jim! I find organizing tools really helps out my work/workflow.

Question. Is it your personal preference to have a wide range of braces, or is that range necessary to handle a wide(r) range of holes? I've never had a brace, so please forgive my ignorance here.

Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Every thing in its place. Well done!
    Thanks Michael, Fred & Glenn

Fred, It is all a matter of leverage and the longer the crank the slower the bore. Bigger bits benefit greatly with a longer swing and a ratchet. Turning a reamer, screw or a counter sink tool benefit from a shorter swing. It is a typical trade off in crank driven systems of rotational speed for torque.

jtk