Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bench height

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Wasn't it just a couple of years ago that all the Moxon and bench on bench stuff was all the rage for making it easier to see for joinery? Lower benches may be an advantage for planing long and wide wide boards or doing all the milling work without machinery. Could be a planing beam and a higher bench for the rest of the work would be better. I v think a single bench can do it all well or that one size fits all. My pinky could be 3 or 4 inches higher or lower than yours.
    Jim
    Jim,

Never could figure out how to work with just one bench , besides benches are fun to build.

ken

2. My bench is 36” from floor to bench top which is right at my wrist joint and it’s fantastic
    My planes are flat square and straight and produce flat straight faces and edges
    I don’t agree with pushing down I feel you lose some control and it’s uncomfortable but to each his own
    Oh and just for info sake I’m 6’1”

To plane properly, one must have a collarless shirt and a vest. One must squat upon one's planes as if it would take flight at less resistance.

When I built my bench two years ago I agonized over the height. I seem to remember based on recommendations, wrist height being the target - for me that would have been 33". I built the bench at 35" because intuitively it seemed a little higher would be better, and it is comfortable to use. I did take a cup out of a 16" wide by 72" Doug Fir slab with a scrub plane a while back, and what arguably is a taller than "recommended" bench height wasn't a problem. I don't really have room for two benches so for me, getting it right was fairly critical.
    Regards,

Kris