Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shipping Machines

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf View Post
    our team that services our stores in Rhode Island stated that their trucks do not currently have the capacity to hold a shipment of this size.
    That really don't surprise me given that it's Rhode Island!
    I drove a semi over-the-road for several years & I hardly ever went to
    Rhode Island. A standard 53 foot long X 102 inches wide semi-trailer is restricted on most roads, Their pretty much just used on the Interstates & Toll-Roads.

You could try https://www.uship.com/ Check under the household/appliance area.
    If someone happens to be going that way with a load & has the extra room you could probably get a better rate?

Doug

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Biddle View Post
    Almost all of the shipping arrangements I've had involving larger equipment have been made by the buyer, not the seller. Why would the seller want to take responsibility after its left the shop? The seller collects his money before it leaves the shop and the buyer owns it after its paid. What happens if the shipping company damages it? I offer to pallet it, send pics for approval, and load it onto a truck.

If there is enough money to cover shipping, I'd give the buyer a discount of the shipping charge and have him make arrangements.
    This is good advice. I buy stuff all the time and ship it. Usually shipping is on me, and I assume the risk after it leaves the origin.

IT comes down to finding the right LTL shipper. You will get a better deal if you can wait for one that already has a load going that way. Also note that you may pay dimensional weight versus actual weight. The typical formula for dimensional weight is (LxWxH)/133. So, a 48x48x72 crate, for example, would be 48x48x72/133= 1247 dimensional weight. If it weighs less than that, you will get billed for 1247 pounds in my example.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    This is good advice. I buy stuff all the time and ship it. Usually shipping is on me, and I assume the risk after it leaves the origin.

IT comes down to finding the right LTL shipper. You will get a better deal if you can wait for one that already has a load going that way. Also note that you may pay dimensional weight versus actual weight. The typical formula for dimensional weight is (LxWxH)/133. So, a 48x48x72 crate, for example, would be 48x48x72/133= 1247 dimensional weight. If it weighs less than that, you will get billed for 1247 pounds in my example.

This makes sense, the buyer did check into other shippers, ESTE, they wanted $1300. I seems like a ridiculous amount, when businesses like Grizzly ship machines for $100. I realize that Grizzly has a contract and ships massive amounts of machines, but you can't make up for loses with volume.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf View Post
    This makes sense, the buyer did check into other shippers, ESTE, they wanted $1300. I seems like a ridiculous amount, when businesses like Grizzly ship machines for $100. I realize that Grizzly has a contract and ships massive amounts of machines, but you can't make up for loses with volume.
    Something folks often don't realize is that big volume shippers build a certain amount of freight cost into the retail price, anyhow. It's never really the case that this or that company can truly ship machine to you with a liftgate truck for $100, even if they were in the same town. With SCM/Minimax, I think our cost on the average bandsaw across the country with liftgate was in the $500 ballpark and I didn't mark up freight to my customers. We got something like a 70% discounted rate off what Joe Public would pay, so you can probably guess what the actual cost is.

Regarding the crating, I used to travel the country with a CU300 on a pretty standard pallet that we framed with 2X4's and then skinned with ply. You could just use OSB. Point being, it was easy to move around for the fright companies.A smaller crate that wouldn't fit easily onto a pallet jack would probably get charged more. Just my thoughts and good luck with it.

Erik

Shipping LTL is all about how it's coded and insured. I get 500# palletized crates of doors from Wisconsin to Arkansas for $2-300. I shipped a custom vent hood to Alabama that was 220#, palletized in a crate that was 60x48x40. Cost $250.

XPO Logistics is who I use for everything. Most expensive thing I've had to ship was a Ritter FF table to my shop from California - $800ish.

There's a $100 add-on fee for residential pick-up AND delivery. So you/buyer may have to pay up to an additional $200.
    Last edited by Justin Ludwig; 01-22-2019 at 8:13 PM.
    -Lud

It pays to have a good freight broker.

So I put this shipping thing in the buyer court. He is getting it shipped via Freightquote, which I believe is similar to Uship. Anyway, it's a freight broker. I think he got a price of about $200 shipped from NC to RI.

I'll let you know if there are any snags.
    Richard

Dropped off at shipper;
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 0.jpg (106.9 KB, 24 views)
    Richard

As I said earlier, Freightquote has always been reasonable with us. They are a bit of a pestering pain initially trying to get all of your freight business (which we had to inform them is a few times a year) but they have been the most reasonable. Your codes and weights have to be spot on and thats only fair to the shipper. They dont have a scale on the truck and you bill your crate at 1000lbs and they pick it up based on the rest of the loads weight and they get three miles down the road and the DOT drags them off the interstate and hangs them out for an overwieght... you SHOULD pay, and you WILL pay.

I wouldnt handle it any differently.

Yes Mike, you did mention Freightquote early on. I would suggest anyone looking at a one time ship to contact them. I lost interest in putting much effort in shipping the dust collector based on the cost and effort in packing, so I dropped it on the buyer to handle the logistics.
    Richard