Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Machines

Shipping Machines

I have a large dust collector that I'm trying to sell and have someone interested in Rhode Island, I'm in NC. I could take it apart and build a crate to ship but not sure how feasible that is. Also no idea what shipping company to use. I think it weighs about 300#. Any experience or help?
    Last edited by Richard Wolf; 01-19-2019 at 10:16 AM.
    Richard

If you need to ship it in one package at 300lbs, you're almost certainly going to need to go with a freight service of some kind. You probably have some local services, Fedex does freight in most areas, and you can get online quotes from someone like uship.com. Those options will probably fall in the $150-400 range depending on the service you choose. It was $450 to ship our 650 pound laser from Florida to Central Texas 3 years ago, to give you a ballpark idea.

Also, for the life of me I can't remember which retailer it was; but someone used to allow you to crate up something you needed shipped and drop it on a pallet at their store. For a flat rate they would then transport it to another one of their stores (nearest to your destination) and the buyer could pick it up. Hopefully someone else can fill you in on that option if it still exists. Several people on here a few years ago would mention it as the best way to ship if you lived near the appropriate stores.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

We have always had good luck with freightquote but its an infrequent thing. You might try contacting a broker in your area any they may be able to piggy back it on a hot shot load headed up the coast. How you opt to crate/package is somewhat on you with regards to how much you need to protect the item and if its going to be shipped on an open truck/tarped or in a box.

I once shipped a crate that I made myself for a J/P (850#) to go from Vegas to Chicago. It cost me $524 with lift gate service at both ends.
    I used Echo Global Logistics. I suspect your price should be quite a bit less as its usually dependent on the size/weight/distance.

I’m sure Darcy or someone will chime in since they have a lot of experience with this.

I’ve heard good things about Fastenal freight.

Look into Fastenal. For certain sized shipments that fit into their pre-set crate sizes, it can be very easy, and inexpensive compared to other freight options.
    Jeff

I had trouble with Freight quote. I used the wrong freight code number, and missed the estimated weight by 250 pounds on a 3,000 shipment. It cost me dearly! The shipment also took forever. The trucking company let it sit in a terminal for over a week while waiting for a full load to head east. I was not happy with the experience at all.

fastenal is supposed to be good but.. you have to get it moved to the local store and the other end has to have some way to haul it home from their local store. I think the stores all have a forklift, or at least, a pallet jack to help. The other guy may have to rent a trailer or pickup for 1/2 day.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 01-19-2019 at 9:30 PM.

Fastenal usually works good as long as both the shipper & person receiving the item have means to get it to & from the store.

Not all Fastenal stores offer the shipping service!
    The actual freight service for Fastenal is handled through a separate office called 3PL
    https://www.fastenal.com/en/22/3pl-t...arty-logistics

Doug

Thanks for the replies, yeah, I think Fastenal may be the best and only realistic answer. Buyer doesn't want to pay for shipping, so it's on me to suck it up for the sale. There is enough room in the price is the shipping is reasonable. I'll check into it, and let you know how it goes.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I had trouble with Freight quote. I used the wrong freight code number, and missed the estimated weight by 250 pounds on a 3,000 shipment. It cost me dearly! The shipment also took forever. The trucking company let it sit in a terminal for over a week while waiting for a full load to head east. I was not happy with the experience at all.
    That is an issue with any LTL or common carrier shipping period. You MUST have the right freight code (you cant rely on the carrier or the broker to tell you what your code should be even though that doesnt make sense). Missing the weight is a major issue however most things we have ever shipped are light enough that missing it by a bit doesnt effect the price. But once your up in the 1K lbs range your going to be expected to be under your billable weight. Carriers dont weigh every single item on an LTL load commonly so if you under-bill your weight (on purpose or by accident) and their load is drastically overweight, your going to pay. They are very strict on this which is why its better to add a bunch of weight to your shipment quote if you dont know dead on the money what you completed crate weighs.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf View Post
    is the shipping is reasonable. I'll check into it, and let you know how it goes.
    I shipped a 15" Walker Turner drill press from Southeast Michigan to Mesquite Texas through Fastenal's 3PL service. I don't think their prices are based on just weight, But more so on floor-space?

In my case the drill press was about 5' tall & weighed somewhere around 200lbs.
    I removed the motor then lowered the table & head as low as possible & got everything to fit on a 2' X 2' pallet. Shipping on that was $150 a little over a year ago.

I can't remember the amount they quoted me, But if I would have made a long pallet & laid the drill press on it's side the shipping costs were a lot more!

Doug

Almost all of the shipping arrangements I've had involving larger equipment have been made by the buyer, not the seller. Why would the seller want to take responsibility after its left the shop? The seller collects his money before it leaves the shop and the buyer owns it after its paid. What happens if the shipping company damages it? I offer to pallet it, send pics for approval, and load it onto a truck.

If there is enough money to cover shipping, I'd give the buyer a discount of the shipping charge and have him make arrangements.

Sometimes moving companies will take on an extra piece, if they have a load going in the same area. Timing is slightly unpredictable, but the time we used it so ship a piano, the price was relatively good.

So I sent the spec. to Fastenal for a price quote, this is their response;

Good afternoon,

We have received your request for a quote. Unfortunately, after standard capacity checks, our team that services our stores in Rhode Island stated that their trucks do not currently have the capacity to hold a shipment of this size. Because of this, we are unable to provide you with a quote. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Back to square one.
    Richard