Thread: Adapter to relocate toilet further away from a wall beside it?

Adapter to relocate toilet further away from a wall beside it?

Can the adapters that are designed to locate toilets various distances from the wall behind them (such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM7DMgS4BrU for the Toto brand) also be used to relocate a toilet further away from a wall that is beside it?

I've never used one, but I googled "sideways toilet offset flange", and there is a long list. I don't like the all plastic ones anyway, so this one would be my choice. The stainless flange can be rotated to any position.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Sioux-Ch...hoCKroQAvD_BwE

Yes - but only very slightly.
    They are oblong & can be positioned to offset in any direction.
    I used one years ago & it did the job for me.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I've never used one, but I googled "sideways toilet offset flange", and there is a long list.
    Of course, I tried Google too. However, it looks like the typical "offset flange" would require a little jackhammering into a concrete slab to make room for it. By contrast an "adapter" used with an appropriate model of toilet doesn't..

You don't need anything as heavy as a jackhammer. An SDS-Max hammer drill, with a chisel, will break up that small amount of concrete pretty quickly, and give you a lot more control with exactly what you take out. You should be able to rent one.

For an offset flange I'm not even sure youd need an Sds. Itd be nice but a good chisel and a 3lb hammer would get you there. Just keep in mind that most offset flanges are only going to gain you 2" in a single direction. They generally came about when water closets went from a 10" rough in dimension to 12".

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    Of course, I tried Google too. However, it looks like the typical "offset flange" would require a little jackhammering into a concrete slab to make room for it. By contrast an "adapter" used with an appropriate model of toilet doesn't..
    My guess is your problem with the toto option and that massive adapter concealed in the skirt of the china is that to offset laterally left or right you going to be swinging the adapter on an arc on the existing flange which means #1 if its possible at all your left to right offset is going to be limited by how much room there is in the cavity of the fixture. #2 rotating your "adapter" on an arc means to gain left/right offset your going to drastically effect the rough in dimension (distance of the tank from the wall).

At some point, (likely just a few degrees of rotation) the adapter is going to interfere with the fixture and your sunk.

Same think applies to rotating an offset flange adapter other than using it at 90 degrees to give you 1.75"-2" of left/right offset.