Thread: Replacement Drive Belts of General 350 Table Saw

Replacement Drive Belts of General 350 Table Saw

Hello,

I have just reassembled my table saw fence after getting a broken part repaired, and thought I would take some time to do some other maintenance. The saw uses two A-22 V belts. Are toothed belts any better? Apparently they can be used as direct replacements.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Joe

I'm a believer in link belts. The Harbor Freight ones work just fine. Just be sure to get the same width as the A22. You can adjust the length be adding/removing links.

Toothed belts work well on small pulleys such as those found on saw arbours......Regards, Rod

I'd buy a set a of matched belts, cogged if available. There can be a wide tolerance between non-matched belts and the distance between links on a linked belt prevent them from being matched. I like link belts but not in a matched application.

Gates belts worked for me for a loooong time on my trusty General 350. Nothing fancy, nothing expensive.

20-30 years ago getting a matched set was important. Today's belt making machinery makes for much better quality if you get a name brand belt. I'd just go to the auto parts store and get two.

matched belts, assuming its set up accurately, I think its overrated. out a bit on unmatched likely make no difference. Ive used two generals over 30 years and always used matched belts. Cant say I like them, the cog belts on they shapers turn with very little resistance. The proper belts from the place I bought the machines from are thick and stiff and have memory and you feel a sort of resistance when you hand turn the blade. Ill try cog belts next time like on the shapers. They have to be decent, seen single belts on machines up to 9hp.

I have link belts on my G1023, put them there before I knew I wasn't supposed to. They work so I'm not inclined to change them out but if I were doing it again I'd use 'cogged' belts instead. Cheaper and maybe quieter. I too have head/read that with modern manufacturing techniques the matched set aspect doesn't matter as much as it used to, tolerances are close enough.

I have read that link belts are harder than 'normal' V belts and can wear pulleys if the pulley is made of softer metal. I haven't noticed a problem with mine so far.

On the advice of knowledgable folks at owwm.org, I installed a set of Gates Hi Power II a section belts on my Unisaw. Work perfectly, no vibration.

Blog Entries
    Always lots of opinions on belt questions. Like others I use link belts and have for many years. Never worn one out yet on 1/2 through 3 HP machines. When you find something that works you tend to recommend it. Certainly certain types of belts work better for certain tasks, that's why there are different one available.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler