Thread: Stainless Steel / Galvanized piano hinge source

Stainless Steel / Galvanized piano hinge source

I'm looking for online sources for some piano hinges (24" long or so) or something equivalent. Stainless steel or galvanized for the pivoting / reclining back on a pair of outdoor reclining lounge chairs I'm starting for an upcoming commission. I'd prefer black coated aesthetically, but only if I can be sure that the paint won't flake off over time, which seems doubtful. The furniture will be under cover but live outside permanently.

Is there a better source I should know about besides McMaster Carr?

Thanks!

Thanks for the links fellas. I'd looked at McMaster and Grainger both and balked a little at the prices of 316 (need 9 feet worth of hinges total) and for some reason, hadn't looked at Lee Valley, so thanks for that, Peter!

Doesn't say which grade of Stainless it is, though. I'd wager for that price it's probably 304. Might be wiser to buy 316 for this project.

If you want to buy the best there is Aircraft Spruce. Below the chart in the notes they state which number is SS.
    Last edited by Peter Christensen; 01-19-2019 at 8:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Thanks for the links fellas. I'd looked at McMaster and Grainger both and balked a little at the prices of 316 (need 9 feet worth of hinges total) and for some reason, hadn't looked at Lee Valley, so thanks for that, Peter!

Doesn't say which grade of Stainless it is, though. I'd wager for that price it's probably 304. Might be wiser to buy 316 for this project.
    Many products that require machining/working the stainless are 18-8 grade. Still 'stainless', but will rust like mad. So its worth checking. If they even know... many times grade of stainless is not known/noted, and where it is expect to pay a premium.

Found this snip:

• 18-8 grade stainless steel

This refers to the 300 series of stainless steel with a chromium and nickel content in percentages. That means that an 18-8 grade fastener has 18% chromium and 8% nickel content. 18-8 type stainless steel has better resistance to corrosion than the 400 series. It can be hardened by only cold working and isn’t magnetic.

• 304 stainless steel

This is a basic alloy. It cannot be heat hardened and is also non-magnetic. While this grade of stainless steel won’t rust, it will tarnish and has a strong resistance to the effect of various chemicals and acids. It is commonly used for sinks, pots, pans, tables and similar. As such, 304 stainless steel is very often used in the dairy and brewing industries.

• 316 stainless steel

This product offers high tensile strength and has a corrosion resistance that can withstand harsh environments. It is also non-magnetic and must be hardened through cold working. The difference between type 304 and 316 stainless steel is the incorporation of molybdenum of up to 3%. This grade of stainless steel is commonly used in the surgical industry, paper pulp industry and in the production of dyes and chemicals.

If you want black, perhaps consider power coated hinges. If the exact hinge is not available, a local company said they can powder coat small private jobs, all I needed to do was degrease and sand blast first.

JKJ

The marine industry might be the place to look: this is 304 stainless continuous piano hinge https://www.fisheriessupply.com/taco...tainless-steel

John suggested powder coating. Unless they are a loosey goose fit the paint will tighten them up to the point where they don't work. You might get the extruded aluminium ones I linked and have them re-anodized in black. Do it after you have all your holes drilled and counter sinked. Remove the pins before you take the parts in.

There are chemical treatments to blacken stainless steel. Google with "black patina stainless steel".

I ordered some 316 stainless hinges and screws from McMaster. The minor differences in price didn't seem worth it in the end. Was considering the aluminum from Aircraft Spruce, but didn't feel confident in being able to find the proper screws that would both not react with the aluminum and be easy to screw/hold well into black locust (the material the hinges will be screwed to.) Also, the Aircraft Spruce hinges were not predrilled and countersunk, which adds a few steps to my process that I don't need to add to my labor scope.

Thank you Jamie for mentioning chemical treatments for blackening stainless. I will definitely study up on that and see if that's a reasonable option for me. They don't need to be black, but I think it would add some sophistication to the overall aesthetics instead of dull stainless, even though that's not a bad look.