Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prescription drug pricing insanity

I take januvia which my insurance does not cover. Cvs is about $10 A PILL. I found a online place for $140 delivered for 84 pills. They are made in Trukey, shipped from Switzerland, and somehow a pharmacy in Mauritius is the listed seller. About two weeks lead time and you have to fax/email a prescription.
    I could pay $1000 a month more for the silver insurance which would cover my meds with co-pays but it would drop hospitalization from 100% TO 70% coverage. ALL MY OTHER MEDS COST LESS THEN THe COPAY WOULD BE.
    I used to get them from India but there was a lawsuit and India no longer makes them as a slightly different chemical. I think it was like sodium salt vs carbonate salt of the active ingredient.

The cost price to the National health service in the United Kingdom for
    84 Rosuvastatin 20mg is $9
    This would equate to a retail price private prescription charge of $13.50

Last edited by Brian Deakin; 01-20-2019 at 2:42 PM.

Thanks for the pointer to GoodRx.com I had not known about that. Could be valuable for me.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Two years ago I took a prescription for 12 weeks & the cost was 96,000....No shopping for cheaper & I'm glad it was covered by insurance after a short fight by the hospital...

Ought to be against the law for some of these pricing differences. I once had a prescription with a co-pay of $35. Walgreen's charged me the $35. Found out later that the drug only cost $8 without using insurance. I asked the pharmacist why? He said they had to charge what the insurance companies said to charge if I used my insurance. You would think the insurance company would have been happier paying the $8 outright instead of me being charged the $35. No telling what the pharmacy charged the insurance company.
    Just doesn't make good business sense to me.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    Ought to be against the law for some of these pricing differences. I once had a prescription with a co-pay of $35. Walgreen's charged me the $35. Found out later that the drug only cost $8 without using insurance. I asked the pharmacist why? He said they had to charge what the insurance companies said to charge if I used my insurance. You would think the insurance company would have been happier paying the $8 outright instead of me being charged the $35. No telling what the pharmacy charged the insurance company.
    Just doesn't make good business sense to me.
    Makes perfect business sense to insurance company. With insurance, $35 for an $8 drug, insurance company gets $27 every time prescription if filled. Sounds like you had a Blue Cross / Blue Shield plan.

I think we all know healthcare is the similar. Several years ago I had an accident and spent a night in the hospital and was billed 112,000 dollars. Insurance settled for just under 50 grand. The part that irked my the most was the scans. A doctor that never saw me ordered an extra set of scans of my torso. They took an extra five minutes and billed 14,000 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I take januvia which my insurance does not cover. Cvs is about $10 A PILL. I found a online place for $140 delivered for 84 pills. They are made in Trukey, shipped from Switzerland, and somehow a pharmacy in Mauritius is the listed seller. About two weeks lead time and you have to fax/email a prescription.
    I could pay $1000 a month more for the silver insurance which would cover my meds with co-pays but it would drop hospitalization from 100% TO 70% coverage. ALL MY OTHER MEDS COST LESS THEN THe COPAY WOULD BE.
    I used to get them from India but there was a lawsuit and India no longer makes them as a slightly different chemical. I think it was like sodium salt vs carbonate salt of the active ingredient.
    I take a med that is filled and shipped through that exact path. Strange to see a Swiss postmark on a Turkish prescription filled on a French island in the middle of nowhere. BTW, that island is where the first piece of flight 370 washed up.
    I

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post

You gotta do what you gotta do, but I would be terrified to take anything that went that route.

Years ago my son got pneumonia from contaminated medicine. The FDA forbid a certain manufacturing process because it was too easily contaminated. The producer did it anyways because it was cheaper. They were fined, but no one went to jail despite 4 people dying. If that happens here under FDA supervision; what happens in Turkey? (or wherever it really is made...)

I think you would be shocked to find out that most medicines in the US supply system are manufactured outside of the country, India and China.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    You gotta do what you gotta do, but I would be terrified to take anything that went that route....
    How much choice do you have? Look at all the ....sartan heart medicine recalls recently and try to find an alternative that sounds much better. Just out of curiosity I looked into the company that makes a drug my wife was switched to (third or fourth switch in about two months) and eventually found that despite their US address and office, they're a wholly-owned subsidiary of a company in India. Still don't know where they make that particular medicine.

Our system is broken. We pay several times as much for health care as any other country and get less for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    Our system is broken. We pay several times as much for health care as any other country and get less for it.
    That's because a lot of other countries place artificial caps on drug costs and drug development costs billions. That money has to come from somewhere.

It's an unpleasant fact that the health care industry in the United States is a multi-trillion dollar locomotive where the patient/end-user is the caboose.

Edwin

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    That's because a lot of other countries place artificial caps on drug costs and drug development costs billions. That money has to come from somewhere.
    Are you saying we're covering the money drug companies lose selling in other countries? Not likely. Those companies are not in business to cover their costs. Their goal is to make money for their shareholders. They are entitled to do that. In fact if you have drug company stock in a mutual fund, you want them to do that but it's gotten out of hand.

See episode 3 ("Drug Short") of the Netflix series "Dirty Money" or Google Valeant Pharmaceuticals.

Drug prices are not the only way our sytem is broken. We're 11th out of 11 countries in one organization's ranking of overall health care. According to the World Health Organization's 2018 report, maternal mortality in the US is 14 deaths per 100,000 births. In 33 European countries it's between 3 and 11. 12 in Kazakhstan, 16 in Turkey. IIRC, we're paying 3 to 4 times as much for our heath care as anyone else.

There are many dedicated, hard-working, honest people in the health care system. It's not their fault. I still say it's broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    It's an unpleasant fact that the health care industry in the United States is a multi-trillion dollar locomotive where the patient/end-user is the caboose. Edwin

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    Drug prices are not the only way our sytem is broken. We're 11th out of 11 countries in one organization's ranking of overall health care. According to the World Health Organization's 2018 report, maternal mortality in the US is 14 deaths per 100,000 births. In 33 European countries it's between 3 and 11. 12 in Kazakhstan, 16 in Turkey. IIRC, we're paying 3 to 4 times as much for our heath care as anyone else.
    I expect we have many more drug addicted mothers than Kazakhstan. That radically increases both the maternal mortality and the cost of health care; but isn't really a medical problem.

Not that I know anything about drug use in Kazakhstan... just making a reasonable assumption.