Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hand plane pricing

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ragatz View Post
    Hi Nicholas,

I think you might be looking at the Stanley Bailey no. 4. The Stanley Sweetheart no. 4 is still $180.

My plane arrived the day after I posted. I haven't done much with it yet, except take a few shavings off a 2x4. It feels solid and seems to be well-made. The sole was flat out of the box. I'm hoping to play with it a little more over the weekend.
    Gary, did you sharpen the plane from the start, or was it sharp from factory?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Riseborough View Post
    Gary, did you sharpen the plane from the start, or was it sharp from factory?
    Hi Jim,
    I've been playing with it as it came out of the box. It seems quite sharp to me, though someone more experienced with hand planes might disagree. It's producing a glassy surface on my 2x4, but it hasn't touched any hardwood yet. So far, I'm happy with the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ragatz View Post
    Hi Jim,
    I've been playing with it as it came out of the box. It seems quite sharp to me, though someone more experienced with hand planes might disagree. It's producing a glassy surface on my 2x4, but it hasn't touched any hardwood yet. So far, I'm happy with the purchase.
    Cool, I am picking mine up tonight. I would imagine it would not take much to hone it up on a stone and get it cutting. Im working on a table top I have hit with my low angle jack plane, I will be interested to see how this will smooth it out. It looks good now, a few pecker tracks from the low angle plane, but they also sand out easy enough.