Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand plane pricing

Hand plane pricing

I don’t do a lot of hand work – I have an old block plane (of unknown provenance) that sees regular use and a set of 4 Stanley Sweetheart 750 chisels (a fairly recent upgrade) that I use and like. But I was thinking recently that I might also get some use out of a smoothing plane.

Not wanting to pay for a top-of-the-line plane, and being pleased with the Stanley chisels, I decided to investigate Stanley planes. Found some decent reviews for the Stanley Sweetheart no. 4, so I went shopping on-line.

I do a fair amount of on-line shopping, but I’ve never seen such variation in pricing. Rockler had the plane for $180, Grizzly for $160, ToolNut for $155. Best price I could find on Amazon was $106 + $20 shipping (from outside U.S.). Walmart, $118, free shipping. And then, Home Depot had it for $91 with free shipping – no indication that this was a sale price or a “special buy,” just a regular price. I checked and double-checked model number (12-136) and I’m convinced I was looking at the same product on all the sites.

So, my new plane is on its way (from Home Depot – surprise!), but I’m still amazed at that degree of price variability across sellers.

Nice! Can you provide the link to home depot for this plane, I cannot find it by searching

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Riseborough View Post
    Nice! Can you provide the link to home depot for this plane, I cannot find it by searching
    Here's the link:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/No-4-Swe...sc__WD52292465

Right now, it's showing "Out of stock," but no indication it's discontinued.

Just checked Home Depots site and says "Out of Stock" online and not available in stores.
    Gary, apparently you got the last one!
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ragatz View Post
    Here's the link:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/No-4-Swe...sc__WD52292465

Right now, it's showing "Out of stock," but no indication it's discontinued.
    Saw that. They have the low angle #62 in stock, but already have one.

Will keep an eye on it. seems a good price, maybe get it with a 10% off coupon.

Hey guys,
    Have you considered buying an old stanley/record/sargent #4 off of ebay? They're generally less expensive, and work quite well, in my (limited) experience.

Blog Entries

I notice this weird wide open spectrum in prices for the seemingly same tools as well. The Stanley Nos. 78 and 92 are others that have the same issue.

The 92 is $120 at Rockler, $93 at Amazon, and as low as $88 + free shipping on Walmart.

I read a review once that suggested that perhaps Stanley sells Walmart their "seconds" that didn't pass QC. I kind of doubt that could be the case, though. If a product doesn't pass QC it shouldn't be sold at all. Ever. Unless it's listed as "second" or "B stock". Just my 2 cents.

I just googled it, and it looks like Rockler has it for $75? Let us know what you think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    I just googled it, and it looks like Rockler has it for $75? Let us know what you think of it.
    Hi Nicholas,

I think you might be looking at the Stanley Bailey no. 4. The Stanley Sweetheart no. 4 is still $180.

My plane arrived the day after I posted. I haven't done much with it yet, except take a few shavings off a 2x4. It feels solid and seems to be well-made. The sole was flat out of the box. I'm hoping to play with it a little more over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    Just checked Home Depots site and says "Out of Stock" online and not available in stores.
    Gary, apparently you got the last one!
    Steve,

Just took another look, and Home Depot seems to have it back in stock - still $90.63. Guess mine was only "sorta" the last one!

Lowell,

Thanks for the suggestion - looks like there are some sites there for me to keep in mind for the future.

Bill,

I look at eBay from time to time. I've bought a few things there that are up for sale at a set price, but have been a little shy of their auctions - not sure exactly why. I have been keeping an eye on a different plane that's up for auction there - maybe I'll jump into the fray this time.

You are correct! Did not realize they were making multiple versions of a smooth plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ragatz View Post
    Hi Nicholas,

I think you might be looking at the Stanley Bailey no. 4. The Stanley Sweetheart no. 4 is still $180.

My plane arrived the day after I posted. I haven't done much with it yet, except take a few shavings off a 2x4. It feels solid and seems to be well-made. The sole was flat out of the box. I'm hoping to play with it a little more over the weekend.

Blog Entries
    Maybe take a peek at the planes listed on SMC Classifieds:

https://sawmillcreek.org/forumdispla...ek-Classifieds

The page SMC Classifieds require viewers be contributors. It is well worth the annual cost.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Maybe take a peek at the planes listed on SMC Classifieds:

https://sawmillcreek.org/forumdispla...ek-Classifieds

The page SMC Classifieds require viewers be contributors. It is well worth the annual cost.

jtk
    Jim,

Thanks for the tip - was not aware of that part of the site.