Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gifted very old machinist's tool box

Blog Entries

Gifted very old machinist's tool box

My neighbor and friend gave me an old machinist tool box she has been storing for over 30 years. I believe it was her grandfather's. Some items appear to predate 1900. I am thinking I will at least try to clean it up (White Oak). A fair number of Starrett, Brown & Sharpe and Lufkin measuring instruments as well as a few taps and a taper reamer. In addition I decided to repair and clean up the wood box a 0-3" Lufkin micrometer came in, also gifted to me 20 years ago by my BIL. I have limited use for most of the stuff in there, but I do find it interesting. Don't know if there is any value here.
    IMG_2549.jpgIMG_2541.jpgIMG_2542.jpgIMG_2543.jpgIMG_2544.jpgIMG_2545.jpgIMG_2548.jpgIMG_2552.jpg
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries

Oh boy, that is a goldmine to some of us! (especially those with little machine shops) Maybe after you clean everything up show the neighbor - she might be thrilled to see a touch of her grandfather's legacy.

List any you can't use on classifieds here, clean or not. I would certainly go for the Starrett depth gauge! (and dies, any taps, calipers)

I've bought some similar old tools and while they are not usually not real expensive they are worth something to the right person.

JKJ

The main problem with that tool box and the equipment in it is that it really doesn't fit the decor your shop. Now if it was in my shop it would work much better

I actually drooled a little bit looking at those pics.

Other than a little extra patina on one of the surface gauges, everything looked in really good condition. The monetary value probably isn't that great. It's all good user stuff, but not at all uncommon. The woodworking equivalent would be common Stanley/Sargent/Millers Falls smoothing, jack, and block planes in good condition. Great as users, but not historic or collectable. That said, someone will want them.

Alternatively, consider hanging on to it for a while. Machinist tools like that are more useful in woodworking than you might expect.

Blog Entries
    Alternatively, consider hanging on to it for a while. Machinist tools like that are more useful in woodworking than you might expect.
    +1 on this.

My odd accumulation of taps and dies has come in rather handy at times.

An angle gauge is helpful in marking out a precise for setting bevel gauges.

Even micrometers are handy at times.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

It looks like a very old Gerstner tool box. They were the Cadillac of machinist tool boxes. I wanted one badly when I got into the trade but could only afford a Kennedy, which I still have today.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Ole, I was fortunate enough to be given my late fathers machinist tool chest by my mom. My dad was a master tool and die maker, dads tool chest was a Gerstner (make of white Oak) like yours, dads chest was cram jammed with all kinds of tools used by the trade, many of the tools, I have not a clue as to there purpose. I use as many of dads tools as I can when woodworking.

As one could imagine, dads tool chest has great sentimental value.

Ole, you are a lucky dog! That sure looks like a Gerstner box.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Very nice box and cool machinist tools too! Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    My neighbor and friend gave me an old machinist tool box she has been storing for over 30 years. I believe it was her grandfather's. Some items appear to predate 1900. I am thinking I will at least try to clean it up (White Oak). A fair number of Starrett, Brown & Sharpe and Lufkin measuring instruments as well as a few taps and a taper reamer.
    I spent 20+ years at Ford repairing tools like yours. That's a very nice assortment.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Ole,

Don’t clean the box. Just leave it, and look at it. Cleaning it would probably decrease the desirability.

Gerstner has a program for refurbishing boxes --- agree that you should be careful of the patina.

Nice collection. Is the outside micrometer set Lufkin? Look at the hasps to see if they have Gerstner stamped on them. Also check the drawers all over. If it's a Gerstner it should be marked somewhere.

Blog Entries
    Well, I had already scraped the lid top to see what was underneath the grime. The box smelled like an old tractor it had so much machine shop oil from hand prints all over it, so there was no going back. I did go to the Gerstner web site and found all of the replacement parts they carry. Just felt is $50. Stain $25. Handle $50. Hmm, just like owning an old Jeep, Just Empty Every Pocket. And they have an owner's forum with lots of tips on refurbishing them. Look as I might, so far I cannot find any hard evidence by way of labels or stamps that is actually is a Gerstner, sure looks like it though. They started in business in 1906, and talking to my friend, her grandfather likely would have gotten it before 1920. Looked on fleabay and even the B&S thread mic would not even fetch $25, so I might just put everything I don't need up in one lot at some point. Probably just keep the combination squares. Stuff in there I don't even know what it is, like a hollow wood dowel full of pointed knitting needle-like rods. Good news is that my friend thinks she may still have the missing front panel in her garage.
    IMG_2559.jpg
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    ...Stuff in there I don't even know what it is, like a hollow wood dowel full of pointed knitting needle-like rods.
    That's interesting, didn't see it in the pictures.
    Some hints might help identify:
    - length?
    - diameter?
    - material, Steel or unknown?
    - Long or short taper?
    - Pointed on just one end, needle sharp or rounded/worn?
    - Ground or polished points?

JKJ