Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gifted very old machinist's tool box

Those surface gages,bttm right photo.....

Are the bees knees for setting up machines. From TS's....shapers.... jointers.... you name it. Clean them up and do some online research on their usage,might surprise you how dang efficient they are.

I think they are for drilling. They work ok for soft wood.

Awesome! You have a Starrett 6" hook rule in pick #7, mine is my absolute favorite woodworking rule. I keep it close for nearly every project.

I'm not sure it's Gerstner, some features don't look right, could be Lufkin or one of the others. It's older than the Gerstner I use, so possibly it is just an old one. Look for the name on the hardware for Gerstner. There is usually a name plate that makes ID easier but not always. Knowing the manufacturer will help you figure out the history. Fun stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Awesome! You have a Starrett 6" hook rule in pick #7, mine is my absolute favorite woodworking rule. I keep it close for nearly every project.

I'm not sure it's Gerstner, some features don't look right, could be Lufkin or one of the others. It's older than the Gerstner I use, so possibly it is just an old one. Look for the name on the hardware for Gerstner. There is usually a name plate that makes ID easier but not always. Knowing the manufacturer will help you figure out the history. Fun stuff!
    I'm with you Steve. Even when googling for old Gerstner's I never found any that didn't have the flip down hasp in the lock assembly. Of course it might predate that feature.

Blog Entries
    Speaking to my friend yesterday, her grandfather was a tool and die maker born about 1884 and worked at Cadillac likely early 20th century, say 1910-1925. Gerstner was founded 1906, do if it is a Gerstner, it obviously doesn't predate that. It could be a very old copycat. I am waiting to be accepted into the Gerstner forum where I will likely get more information to confirm or deny authenticity.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Additional information from the folks on the Gerstner forum pointed me to information confirming it is a Pilliod Model 50 chest built in the time period 1920-1924. A copy of the popular Gerstner O41.
    NOW you tell me...

Still very cool to have!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    I removed all the hardware, cleaned up the chest, sanded it, stained it and applied four coats of wipe-on poly. Buffed out all of the brass as best I could. All the screws were in pretty bad shape so I bought new slotted brass wood screws off the internet as well as a new handle and split rivets directly from Gerstner. Removed all of the felt, haven't yet cut and glued the new felt I got for a few dollars from Joanne Fabrics. Still waiting for a chance to go to my neighbor's garage and look for the front panel. I do have it all reassembled and it is looking pretty sweet. When I get back from being a snowbird, I will post a few pics.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Here are a few pics with the chest refinished, Along with the before version.IMG_2541.jpg Done.jpgDone top.jpg
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 03-31-2019 at 9:52 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

Wow! That turned out very nice.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Wow! That turned out very nice.
    It sure did! Nice work Sir!
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 04-01-2019 at 7:02 AM. Reason: Typo
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

That's beautiful!

Blog Entries
    +1 on That's beautiful!

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)