Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rube goldberg tools

Rube goldberg tools

I want one!!!!

Great video! I want one too.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

No worries, there will be a Chinese version on Amazon shortly...

Just a few days ago I measured a dozen eggs from my own chickens with calipers. There was a significant difference the dimensions, both length and diameter, so a general-purpose device would have to take that into consideration.

Besides, the klutz in the video is not cracking eggs properly, certainly not the way our mother taught us. This seems then like a solution in search of a problem, or at least, in search of a population of untrained kitchen help or perhaps a big help for those with neurological or other physical problems. Fun video though!

PS, why was I measuring eggs? I decided to try my hand at turning some from wood.

eggs_com_A.jpg

JKJ

There are just so many jokes about engineers that video opens up.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I envision a Woodpeckers one-time-tool in the near future.

..Question is : can I put it in the dishwasher because, you know, sometime there's going to be some egg on it . . . ?

This seems then like a solution in search of a problem
    but isn't that the whole point of a Rube Goldberg machine ?

Quote Originally Posted by John Donhowe View Post
    but isn't that the whole point of a Rube Goldberg machine ?
    Sort of, but to me this thing doesn't qualify for a Rube Goldberg label. An alarm clock doesn't wake up the chicken and the egg doesn't roll down a ramp into the opener while triggering the toaster and turning on the burner and scaring the cat into popping a balloon which releases a releases a weight and activates a lever which squeezes the handles and opens the egg.

I thought it was mostly a joke with clever simple-tool construction to make it worth a video, perhaps to try to get lots of views or more subscribers. If it's a serious tool it seems like one designed by the uneducated to solve an education problem. No normal person would repeatedly smash and crush eggs like that, except perhaps to make an intro to a video. The video was, however, much more entertaining than the "funniest" videos I quit watching decades ago.

JKJ

I did notice his first cut was not needed at all. Poor layout he should have shifted the layout 1/2" to the edge and used the factory edge instead of cutting. The second cut had the same layout problem for the first 1/2 was not needed. he should have shifted the layout so the 90 degree corner was in the factory 90 degree corner. Poor engineering design and planning.
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 01-19-2019 at 9:28 PM.

i guess i should have said fun and for entertainment purposes only.

Makes me wonder how they crack eggs open in high production food factories. Nice idea for the tool. Could doulble as a wire stripper!

Back when I was cracking eggs for McDonald's breakfast shift in my first job, we had a stainless pitcher that was maybe a quart. The lip was not rolled over, so after a little practice, I could slam two eggs down on the lip, one in each hand, neatly bifurcating them save for a little piece on top, then split them over the grill or into the pitcher. No shell pieces, and maybe a little mess at times, but, "Time to lean, time to clean," was the saying, so if we hit a lull...
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore