Thread: Oak or Soft Maple....

Oak or Soft Maple....

What takes an ebony minwax gel stain or varathane 3x better?

Oak is generally easier to stain without blotching, if that's the issue. With oak you do have to consider how you want the pores to look, as the will tend to collect stain. They will also show as indentations under the final top coats unless filled with grain filler. Both woods won't have problems with stain and finish adhering.

20190113_153602.jpg

I'm shooting for something like this.

Probably oak, but if you want it jet black like that you might consider using a dye first, then gel stain.

India ink is also a worthy consideration.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If I use a dye, what should I purchase and what would I mix it with? Or would I just use a liquid dye of some kind and wipe it on like I would stain?

Thanks.

Wouldn't that be an extremely high volume of India ink? I have a little bottle that wouldn't go far and it wasn't cheap if I recall.

One more follow up question. The black/ebony stains I have are oil based. Can I use this gel stain on top of a water based dye after it completely dries? I also dont want a dye that raises the grain so I'm wondering what would be an ideal dye to use. It seems like dues mixed with alcohol or mineral spirits do not raise the grain.... but info is sometimes misleading. Thanks again.

Lol, I'm back. I just found out that a 10% solution of sodium nitrite will turn white oak almost black. Is this an option prior to using a gel stain?
    Screenshot_20190120-011328_Chrome.jpg