Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dados in hundreds of parts

I think technically if it is lengthwise it is not a dado it is a groove. If i'm wrong I predict I'll be corrected in the next post.

Don't worry Doug ,after I posted how to do it and reread my post I was wondering the same thing..

Depending on how well tooled you are (do you have a shaper and power feeder, etc). One option would be to have molding vendor make a bunch of "molding" with groove in it and you cut to length. I have a shaper and power feeder and if I understand your need I would cut strips to the width you need for the part parallel to the groove and I would groove them with either a dado head in a table saw with a power feeder or on a shaper with a power feeder. Then cut to length. You could probably have someone make a knife for their molder for $100 and then I bet they would run strips you provide for very little per foot.

I think we need a photo to confirm whether it is a dado or a groove, otherwise we are just spinning our wheels trying to solve a problem without understanding it. Oh, and I acknowledge my prediction didn't come true.

I swear I responded to this.

Job it out to someone with a cnc.

Or, cut the parts to size and powerfeed them through a tablesaw

Could you build it up from 1/4” pieces instead? Rather than remove the dado, add two 27/32” wide 1/4” thick strips spaced 1-5/16” apart to the base piece of 3” wide 1/4” thick material, nail or glue then cross cut to length?

maybe gang rip from the longest 1/4” stock you can get on a molder like others have suggested? Might be more efficient, especially if you can source inexpensive 1/4” stock rather than 1/2” ply.

Just a thought.

Tim