Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought it cause I was born there

Bought it cause I was born there

Bought this saw vise off CL for $55 bcs I was born in Lodi, CA.

Blog Entries
    How long is that thing?

My luck had me passing through Lodi. Never been stuck there once, let alone again.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Have to ask John Fogarty about that

Ha. I've always wondered if they meant that Lodi. The jaws are about 29" long.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rathhaus View Post
    Ha. I've always wondered if they meant that Lodi.
    Is there any other? (Google maps answered that, yes in New Jersey and Wisconsin.) The Fogarty Brothers were from El Cerrito, California. Most folks around the S.F. area know about the Lodi in NorCal and wouldn't want to get stuck there.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rathhaus View Post
    The jaws are about 29" long.
    Great for doing the full saw without having to fiddle with moving and re-clamping it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I'm from California. I surely wouldn't want to get stuck in Lodi. But they do have some great wineries.

l’m from California as well. No joke, decades ago was heading to Lake Tahoe and my car overheated in Lodi. Stuck there for one night. Cheap motel, liquor store across the street. All was well.

We haven't had occasion to get stuck in Lodi, but we've driven through it plenty of times, and it seems no better or worse than any other California Central Valley towns. From the Wikipedia article on the song: "Fogerty later said he had never actually visited Lodi before writing this song, and simply picked it for the song because it had 'the coolest sounding name.' " It probably fit the meter of the song better than, say, Manteca.

We live on the North Coast (north of San Francisco, that is), and drive over Highway 12, which heads through our town from the coast and then through Lodi all the way to the Sierra Nevada. When we going to Yosemite, we do it by way of Hwy. 12 and Hwy. 49 (north and south along the California Gold Country on the west slopes of the Sierra Nevada). When we go to southern California, we do it by way of Hwy. 12 and then Hwy. 99 or 5. Either way, we avoid going through the maze and traffic of roads in the Bay Area.

There's a little winery and restaurant on Hwy. 12 west of Lodi that we generally hit about lunchtime, so we stop there: Phillips Farms Cafe, Michael and David Winery. We don't buy the wine, but we enjoy the food in the restaurant: an interesting balancing of old-style farm cookery and new-style fancy stuff.

If you happen to replicate our drive from Sonoma County to Lodi, by the way, and you have the time, stop in Rio Vista and ask how to get to the car ferry. The state operates three car ferries in the California Delta that go across sloughs, situations where, at the time, they determined a ferry was cost-effective compared to a bridge. The ferry at Rio Vista takes you onto Ryer Island, which has a road all the way around its circumference as well as roads within the island. Another ferry, more or less opposite the first, takes you off the island, and you can either make your way south to Hwy. 12 again, or go on Hwy 220 through Ryde and Walnut Grove to Hwy. 5 (5 being a big interstate/freeway). Lots more interesting than all that city stuff.

But let's see more pictures of that saw vise. It looks home-made; was it, or was it a little manufacturing operation?

+1 to Lodi wine. It's insanely good relative to the price premium of Napa and Sonoma. I also really like Suisan which was always odd that it has a lot of waterfront restaurants despite being so far inland. My wife lived in Vacaville when we were engaged despite me being down in Sunnyvale.

10. My dad used to play Lodi when I was a kid, and I never understood what John Fogerty meant by "stuck in low dye again". It makes sense now.

Hi Bill - It isn't homemade. It was made by the Lodi Manufacturing Company. There's actually on old thread on one Chris Schwarz had. I'll post more pictures after I've cleaned it up.

Trust me...you don't want to get stuck in Lodi, Ohio..either...

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Trust me...you don't want to get stuck in Lodi, Ohio..either...
    But, hey, you've got a library. And Cheepy's Used Tire and Tire Removal. And what appears to be a restaurant named "East of Chicago," which I guess is so named because it offers Chicago-style pizza (whatever that is). At least it's not Lodi, Noo Joisey, which is a borough in Hackensack, surrounded by city.

But, going back to Eric's original post, we still need to see more pictures, including one with it set up for use.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Martin Winnipeg View Post
    My dad used to play Lodi when I was a kid, and I never understood what John Fogerty meant by "stuck in low dye again". It makes sense now.
    Similar misunderstanding here with growing up near a Dry Cleaner/Tailoring shop. One of the special things they would do was to dye clothes. One of the things they would leave out in the alley for the trash collectors or scavengers to take away was the empty wooden cases for the dye they used labeled Dewier Dye.

At a young age it was difficult to understand why people would put up a fight for a case of Dewier Dye.

jtk

It's still the same old story
    A fight for love and glory
    A case of Dewier Dye

Phil, I was born in Lodi, raised in Stockton, and left the Central Valley at 18, never to return.