Thread: Exhaust System

Exhaust System

I'm really at a loss of how to set up an appropriate exhaust system. Theres a light smell of the acrylic and wood when cutting/engraving inside my 10x10 workspace. Right now its being vented outside. But when I removed the wood off the grid today there was white smoke trapped underneath so obviously it's not exhausting correctly. I'm not sure if it's the piping, the blower, or what. I need help

The best configuration is fan outside the room, pulling out the fumes. Also, leave the laser closed 5-10 seconds after it finishes to allow the last of the fumes to go. Beyond that it’s hard to tell the problem without details, such as hose size, fan CFM.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Misty Smith View Post
    I'm really at a loss of how to set up an appropriate exhaust system. Theres a light smell of the acrylic and wood when cutting/engraving inside my 10x10 workspace. Right now its being vented outside. But when I removed the wood off the grid today there was white smoke trapped underneath so obviously it's not exhausting correctly. I'm not sure if it's the piping, the blower, or what. I need help
    Put down a handful of quarters or something under the grid to space it up just a bit. You can get smoke trapped in the honeycomb and it'll stay there unless it can come out underneath.

I was trying to be fancy and use a filter box system so the smell wouldn't bother the neighbors. Somewhere between the laser- filter box- blower (outside) something wasnt working. Tonight I rerouted the piping. Now the pipe goes from the laser directly outside to the blower then to a Bush on the ground. Will test it out tomorrow.

I have a mini24. There are 2 air ports at the bottom of the cabinet. I always assumed the blower would pull air from above and below the honeycomb. I will try the lifting idea. Thank you for the suggestion.

So theres no smell generating from within the workspace but its being brought back in presumably from the open window? The fumes are much stronger being brought back in then they were from the original set up. The exhaust is going into a Bush at ground level. I wonder if it would be better to exhaust high? Also at this rate there will need to be a filter box outside.

Before we moved out of the city I had purchased some 4" abs pipe and a sweep (long 90 deg turn) so that I could exhaust the fumes straight up. I don't know how well it would have worked since I never implemented it but I am confident that it would be a lot better than straight out the wall at ground level. If I were somewhere with neighbors close by that is what I would do, and make the exhaust pipe as high as I could get away with without it being an eye-sore; maybe camouflage it as a light post or flag pole.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    Before we moved out of the city I had purchased some 4" abs pipe and a sweep (long 90 deg turn) so that I could exhaust the fumes straight up. I don't know how well it would have worked since I never implemented it but I am confident that it would be a lot better than straight out the wall at ground level. If I were somewhere with neighbors close by that is what I would do, and make the exhaust pipe as high as I could get away with without it being an eye-sore; maybe camouflage it as a light post or flag pole.
    Yes, the higher the better, since the fumes are warm and will rise. That keeps it fro drifting as quickly to the neighbors who may have open windows. My shop is on the second story and exhausts at about 6’ up the wall, with a dryer type vent. With a good fan you can run a long way. When I was in a commercial building my vent went 25’.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

This is how I run my fumes out. I use vacume hose and loc-line for piping. I run this into another room using a vanniman which has a HEPA filter and a bag filter. I use loc-line because I can position it wherever I need as it is a open laser and im puting different sized parts in. LASER SETUP.jpg I may end up just running the fumes straight outside in the future. But that requires a hole cut in the wall. haha

Alpha Laser-150w
    yag laser welder
    Laser Star-80w yag laser welder
    Laser Marking Technologies
    Marksman Dominator-50w galvo fiber-raycus
    Miller Snycrowave 350 LX
    C
    erakote applicator
    Clausing-8520 milling machine
    South Bend-Lathe