Thread: Laguna Revo 24/36 question

Laguna Revo 24/36 question

Can any owner of the Laguna Revo 24/36 tell me what the gap is between the bed ways for that lathe?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

2. It's 1 & 15/16" Roger

Thanks Ed!

Interesting measurement.

As the lathe is manufactured in a metric country, I wondered. Went out and measured mine, it is exactly 50mm right along the bed.

Mick.

50mm translates to 1 +31/32 inches or 1.97” ...I’ve never seen that size bed gap on any other lathe. Interesting.

I have the 18/36 which I imagine has the same bed and the gap is 2". I bought the Oneway 2" clamp block to fasten my bowl steady with and it fits exactly.

I started to worry and wonder whether I had made an error when measuring the gap on my lathe, so I went out and measured again.

It is so close to 50mm that the only difference would be when I make a slight error when tightening the locking screws.

I took a shot of the Vernier caliper reading. Within reason you can check out the inch measurements, I don't know how to read them, but the picture is not dead straight so there is a slight parallax error in what you are seeing.

The inch bit has its first exact alignment on the numeral 9 aligning with the mark 19, perhaps you inch people can work it out in your chosen measure. I understand 63/64ths is 25mm or so close it doesn't matter, so two of them would be 50mm, wouldn't it?

Mick.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Barry, I have a swathe of accessories for my 24-36, all of them are designated to fit the 18-36 according to the boxes they came in, nothing at all with regard to the 24-36 in any of the literature or pictures and specifications on the boxes, other than the actual box the lathe came in.

I have the 18-36 bed extension, plus the riser kit, fits my 50mm wide gap snug as a bug in a rug.

It would appear that the marketing people are working on the basis that 25mm is an inch, which we know it isn't, but for advertising purposes that sits well for the USA domestic market; which is fine.

Mick.

FWIW, I believe OneWay clamp blocks are slightly undersized. I had a friend mill an extra 2” block for me and it was too snug to fit my 1836 and had to be filed to fit. I agree it is a 50mm gap.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Mine is exactly 50mm

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    I took a shot of the Vernier caliper reading. Within reason you can check out the inch measurements, I don't know how to read them, but the picture is not dead straight so there is a slight parallax error in what you are seeing.
    The zero is past the 1.9 and less than 2.0 so start with 1.9"
    Each of the four small divisions between the tenths is .025" and the zero is past the second one so add 2 x .025 or 0.050"
    With the camera angle it looks like the line at 19 or 20 could align with the line below, so let's add 20x.001 for .020"
    So 1.900 + 0.050 + 0.020 = 1.97, more or less, depending on the parallax

No reasonable lathe maker would require very tight clearance tolerances between the gap and the sliding pieces so a variety of widths will fit.

BTW, this is my most useful invention to fit in the gap in the bed - a sliding tray to hold tools to keep them off the floor. I make one for each lathe and move it to the left or right of the tailstock as needed. I stick a piece of thin indoor/outdoor carpet on the top with double-sided tape.

tool_tray.jpg

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    The zero is past the 1.9 and less than 2.0 so start with 1.9"
    Each of the four small divisions between the tenths is .025" and the zero is past the second one so add 2 x .025 or 0.050"
    With the camera angle it looks like the line at 19 or 20 could align with the line below, so let's add 20x.001 for .020"
    So 1.900 + 0.050 + 0.020 = 1.97, more or less, depending on the parallax JKJ
    I see, looks like I now know (more or less) how to do the inches thing on my Vernier. Only had the Vernier caliper since 1968 when I needed to repair the gearbox on a BMW motorcycle and everything was metric. It was my first introduction to measuring in metric; never looked back as it was so easy to learn and remember how to calculate shimming.

25.4mm x 1.97" = 50.04mm

Mick.