Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Tools and Techniques? Video

New Tools and Techniques? Video

I just noticed this Russian video showing turning tools and techniques never seen before. What is that triangular shaped tool he is using that has multiple functions?

It looks to be a sort of home made skew chisel that the experts will assure you cannot possibly work.

His hook tool looks to be made of the same steel.

I love how he turns the lathe off and on towards the end of the piece.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I've seen other videos where the hook tool is utilized and looks easy. I bought one a few years ago and it remains in my tool holder. Just can't get my head around how to use it. The Skew thing looks very interesting. Wish I knew a blacksmith . . . .
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Skill level: Master! Interesting variation on the skew. Almost reminds me of some of the traditional Japanese turning tools, same with the hook tool. I would guess both are home forged tools, probably a softer metal rather than HSS. No idea what the wood is, but would guess a poplar/aspen of some sort, not hard...

robo hippy

Very cool. Looks like my next tool. Can't wait to try it out
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    It looks to be a sort of home made skew chisel that the experts will assure you cannot possibly work.

His hook tool looks to be made of the same steel.
    Could the hook tool be on the other end of the same bar with the skew? Looks like he's holding the bar for the handle.

The skew is a standard skew but with the edge at a different, perhaps more useful angle (in the right hands) than what we use. Notice how it often cuts with the edge far above the center line, contrary to what we are taught. I never teach that but I admit to doing it often - "wasting" the sharp upper half of the edge always seemed a waste! Of course, no catches allowed.

The stability of the skew might be improved with the large round shaft since the support point will be closer to directly under the cutting point on the edge. My favorite skew for small things is a 1/4" round skew which seems more controllable, perhaps for the same reason.

Hook tools used to be all the rage and you can see why. They were readily available for sale and many people made their own by pounding steel like the one shown. I suspect one reason they are not used as much today is they can be difficult to sharpen correctly for the inexperienced. (Just look at the popularity of carbide tools these days with beginners.)

The guy doesn't waste any time turning, does he? Probably couldn't work that fast with dogwood or ebony!

Hey, Peter, ho blacksmith needed, just an acetylene torch (or mapp gas for smaller diameters), a hammer, and an anvil. I've shaped and bent plenty of steel this way.

JKJ

In 1961 I saw a similar looking skew in. Spain, it was in the market place where a man was turning toy tops. Whne I told my shop teacher about it, he decided the class needed to make a field trip to the market. The advantage of being a DOD school for USAF dependents. Field trips were as simple as procuring a USAF bus, and we were denied nothing. Next door to the toymaker was a woodcarver that carved full sized religious statues. They became some of the best stops to go to when we went to town.

The shop teacher sort of copied the skew, but best of my memory he just ground down a 3/8" steel rod, no clue as to what kind of steel or anything. He spent about 2 class periods showing how to grind the rod, and then making a handle for it. Then it was our turn to make one, I had mine for years, probably still do, just don't know where it is.

I have seen videos of production turners in the Eastern edge of Germany using a long triangular skew. More blade/edge, less shaft. The ones in the German videos looked to be hand forged also.

I have posted links to the making of nesting dolls a couple of times, I have another one that shows the tools this turner is using, he makes a barrel like vase turning from some softwood (Spruce ?) also two more links that show what/how one can turning with expertise the product in short times, like the one that makes 5 bowls in less than half an hour, anyway have a look and enjoy and wonder why we all need the fancy tools and sharpening systems,--------- or do we ????

Showing his tools, turning a softwood log.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivMn...&frags=pl%2Cwn

Turning in short time 5 thin wall bowls, maybe Linden wood (related to Basswood)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YM3zICyjBg

This turner turns the nesting dolls with amazing speed and finish, this is Basswood, as it shows in a longer video the harvesting of the logs.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhR9ALVd0Js

Making a Russian Hook tool, cuts in two directions.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX5J...&frags=pl%2Cwn
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 01-17-2019 at 11:12 PM.
    Have fun and take care

What a get video. Reminds me of turners who can make anything using 1 tool.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    What a get video. Reminds me of turners who can make anything using 1 tool.
    Well not quite 1 tool, as they use both skew like tools and hook tools, even spindle gouge, but all seem to be home made even by the turners themselves as one video showed.

The use of these tools are shown very well, just takes a whole bunch of practice to get that good
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post

Turning in short time 5 thin wall bowls, maybe Linden wood (related to Basswood)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YM3zICyjBg
    And think of all the money he’s saved on safety equipment.... I wonder where he got those squint goggles?

When you are good, you are good.... amazing skill shown here. Fascinating to see the hook tool used on the back half of the bowl (on the upwards) with no tool rest support, just his hand clamping the tool to the rest....
    Thanks for sharing, Leo.

That spatulated parting tool, looks a lot like a round blade. It must have a sharp edge to true the ends of the stock like it does.

Also, I wonder if that hook tool would even work across the grain. Every where I see them used they are turning a log and into the end grain, so the grain would be fairly concentric. Not like the bowls we tend to turn where the grain is perpendicular to the lathe bed

And if you check one of his later videos, 24 hours later about half of the 20 bowls he shows making, cracked to crap.
    Last edited by Perry Hilbert Jr; 01-20-2019 at 6:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    That spatulated parting tool, looks a lot like a round blade. It must have a sharp edge to true the ends of the stock like it does.

Also, I wonder if that hook tool would even work across the grain. Every where I see them used they are turning a log and into the end grain, so the grain would be fairly concentric. Not like the bowls we tend to turn where the grain is perpendicular to the lathe bed

And if you check one of his later videos, 24 hours later about half of the 20 bowls he shows making, cracked to crap.
    I don’t know where you looked, (can you show the video link ??) but the pictures/videos (I have seen most of them IMO) that I have seen do not show bowls cracked to crab, as he is a professional turner making a living doing this, split bowls or goblets etc would put him out of business pretty quick, (and he has done this for years to get this good)

bowls.jpg

Besides being a very capable turner he also is able and does make his own tool, like this type of cutoff tool that he uses all the time,
    cutoff tool.jpg

I also saw larger plates turned in side grain direction by the same turner and other ones assembled and turned that then were finished with fanciful paintings.
    bowls with lids.jpglot of bowls.jpgsidegrain bowl.jpglarger turning.jpgGoblet.jpgfinished bowl.jpg
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 01-22-2019 at 2:27 AM.
    Have fun and take care

John I did consider this with my Mapp but am unsure what steel I should try.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .