Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Tools and Techniques? Video

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    I don’t know where you looked, (can you show the video link ??) but the pictures/videos (I have seen most of them IMO) that I have seen do not show bowls cracked to crab, as he is a professional turner making a living doing this, split bowls or goblets etc would put him out of business pretty quick, (and he has done this for years to get this good)

Attachment 401831

Besides being a very capable turner he also is able and does make his own tool, like this type of cutoff tool that he uses all the time,

Attachment 401829

I also saw larger plates turned in side grain direction by the same turner and other ones assembled and turned that then were finished with fanciful paintings.
    Attachment 401823Attachment 401824Attachment 401825Attachment 401826Attachment 401827Attachment 401828

He is an amazing turner of that there can be no doubt. It took me a while to find the video with all the cracked bowls. Since I do not understand the Russian, I do not know what he is saying about the cracked bowls but here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fKRDrKxE_g
    Last edited by Perry Hilbert Jr; 01-22-2019 at 11:20 AM.

He's good that's for sure. I wish I understood Russian, he seemed pretty upset about the cracked bowls.
    He certainly gets his money's worth out of a piece of sandpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    He is an amazing turner of that there can be no doubt. It took me a while to find the video with all the cracked bowls. Since I do not understand the Russian, I do not know what he is saying about the cracked bowls but here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fKRDrKxE_g
    Ha, yes I seen that video, but must have jumped that part where he shows the split bowls and some lids as well, (that one picture is from that video, but before showing the splits) yes I guess he must have had a bad log with tension in it from growing on a slope or edge of the forest, doesn’t show on the outside of the log, of course the drying speed could very well be part of the problem, probably no time and place to store all the turnings if drying them more slowly, being between a rock and a hard place.

Of course with all the different logs he uses Ash Birch Linden and Maple and others, there is bound to be a problem one in there, the split ones do look like Birch to me, and they are certainly not as stable as Linden.

On the other hand some of those woods are better suited for the products he makes out of them, for me, not being a production turner, but just turn for the love of it, the differences between all the wood is with makes this so enjoyable and fun.

Some of his logs here.
    logs.jpg
    Have fun and take care

There is a you tube video on the making of those nesting wooden doll figures and it is narrated in English. The turners are almost all women. And they do use the same style tools to turn the various size figure boxes. I suppose with 20 years experience, they can do it in their sleep. The skew has some definite advantages. It has a much wider edge without all the weight of a big bar shaft and it is already round, to roll on the tool rest as he curves it over the cove or bead. he is working on. I like the parting tool too. It cuts very cleanly, instead of tearing like the common parting tools we use. I just might have a couple pieces of tool steel out in the barn.....

I think all of those cracked bowls were turned end grain, with the pith still in them. Much higher cracking rate than side grain...

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    John I did consider this with my Mapp but am unsure what steel I should try.
    If you still have MAPP (vrs MAP) set it aside for special projects, since MAPP is no longer available and MAP doesn't get as hot. Hotter then propane, but....
    O2 steel works well, there should be a good "how too" on Alan Lacer's web page on how to make hook tools
    I
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    John I did consider this with my Mapp but am unsure what steel I should try.
    Oil-hardening steel (O1 )is pretty easy to work with. This tells about some of the differences: https://www.onlinemetals.com/product...steelguide.cfm I've bought a lot of materials from this company but there are lots of suppliers.

You can heat with a torch but you can get better control with a little home-made kiln like this one: https://www.manmadediy.com/4628-make...lowtorch-forge It looks like the guy in the video on making the hook tool simply heated in the space between the torch and a brick wall which would help some.

JKJ

He appears to be turning some form of solidified butter. In all seriousness, I think I'll get one of these and give it a try. You will all know when I do, you'll hear/feel the catch when I try it out.
    USMC '97-'01

Anyone know what the magic "stuff" is that is used in the video to help provide greater friction between the jam block (?) and bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn C Roberts View Post
    Anyone know what the magic "stuff" is that is used in the video to help provide greater friction between the jam block (?) and bowl?
    WATER is what is used
    Have fun and take care