Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench

Bench

Spent yesterday building a bench I chose Mike Siemsen’s Nicholson design. I have been working on an old workmate I bought for $10. Today I will install the back half of the top and drill my dog holes and I’m done. 435C89D1-3CFB-478F-B9E9-49F4DC7708F9.jpgB559073D-938F-42CA-B9B4-18ACA70C5398.jpg6376573A-56A9-4695-8E9A-722F2EFD701F.jpg

Thinking about putting one of those together. Let us know how you like it will you?

Looks nice. Need to build or buy a bench myself.

Is that treated/green pine? Can’t tell from the picture, but if so how will it handle drying?

I think the beauty of this bench is that it’s a fairly quick build and extremely inexpensive as far as benches go. Is it a thing of beauty? No. It is pretty heavy I estimate around 250 pounds which is nice. You can customize it if you want to add a vise or two you certainely can. For me it is the right choice. I don’t have a garage or a basement so I work on my patio underneath the balcony of my second floor so the bench is outdoors. I made the bench height 36 1/2 inches tall. I’m not fond of or believe a bench should be 32 inches or lower. My back likes the extra height. I will certainely let you all know what I think over time the pros the cons etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    Thinking about putting one of those together. Let us know how you like it will you?
    Nicholas when you are ready message me I can give you some tips regarding the build. The plans and video instructions can be a little vague with some aspects and this made building it take an hour or two longer than it should have. This bench is buildable in one day if you have your materials on hand and ready to go.

Vinnie,

Congrats on building a good solid workbench. Speckle it with paint and glue drips, add some goughes from your chisels and saws, a few "French" marks while using your mallets, hammers and holdfasts and that sucker will be downright beautiful. BTW, just one word of advice from from the OF's gallery: Keep the bench simple, once you learn to use the stops, hooks, dogs, holdfasts, and battens with the bench you have everything needed to work easily and quickly.

ken

Blog Entries
    Looking Good!

As Ken mentions, easy holding is a way to getting more done:

Apron Stop.jpg

The end stop works well with a dog up to keep the board from slipping or a doe's foot and a holdfast make for quick changes of work pieces.

A simple cam lock is also helpful for going through a lot of work without having to open and close a vise every time:

In To the Claw.jpg

Here is more:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?223428

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Nice job on the bench. Vinnie. Looks nice and stout. Jim, thanks for posting the work holding jaws. I'll have to add this to my Gotta build me one of those someday list

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Looking Good!

As Ken mentions, easy holding is a way to getting more done:

Apron Stop.jpg

The end stop works well with a dog up to keep the board from slipping or a doe's foot and a holdfast make for quick changes of work pieces.

A simple cam lock is also helpful for going through a lot of work without having to open and close a vise every time:

In To the Claw.jpg

Here is more:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?223428

jtk
    I love the cam lock! Are there any plans for that?

994CD70E-65AE-4F8D-B0F4-523872855632.jpg04FA21A3-D9EC-4058-AA2B-838655E30D57.jpgD34CB724-94A5-4FF1-B7A3-BB5D2BE33B10.jpgSome of my pictures are ending up sideways my apologies but here is the board in the center notched to be used as a stop as well. It lowers to sit flush.

Nice work vinnie!!! Looks stout and practical.....Well done.
    Jerry

Good choice. I’ve seen Mike S demonstrate the versatility of that bench. You won’t be disappointed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Lopez View Post
    I love the cam lock! Are there any plans for that?
    A Google search on > viceless devices < (with vise spelled vice as a word play) brings up the program that inspired me:

https://www.pbs.org/video/woodwright...eless-devices/

Mine were made willy nilly on the fly. A mock up was made with some scrap softwood to get an idea of the shaping.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

14. I built that bench about 3 years ago. I used the crook/hook for the first 1.5 years, but then eventually replaced it with a leg vice for greater speed and ease-of-use. Also, I modified the planing stop by added the BT&C planing stop from Tools For Working Wood. I mounted the metal stop so that it would be flush with the table top. This $20 mod radically improves the holding power and utility of the planing stop.

Very nice bench Vinnie. Thanks for sharing.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”