Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drilling Metal in the Wood Shop

Drilling Metal in the Wood Shop

When drilling metal I try to contain the chips and curls and clean up right away. This keeps them from scratching wood, getting stuck in my shoes and tracked into the house, scratching me when I handle 'clean' wood etc.

My current practice is clunky. I have a cardboard box that I set on the DP table and set the DP vise in it. This catches 95% but is awkward to use and doesn't support the vise well. I'm sure I don't want this stuff in my dust collector. Any ideas?

First, start out with a clean area around the drillpress. Use a portable shop vac while you are drilling. Sweep when you are done and use a magnet to pick up any remaining chips if you were drilling steel.

Tony's got it. I have a 2 gallon shop vac that is dedicated to the drill press.

I drill brass often and occasionally aluminum and steel. I just vacuum the area as soon as I am done. Depending on the job I may use the drill press, the Shopsmith or the bench vise, so the affected area moves around and I just follow myself around with the vac.
    Zach

I use a magnet and a broom. I'd be careful with the cardboard box. Hot swarf + a bit of sawdust + cardboard = bad juju

A shop vac would just clutter my shop so that won't be an improvement.

Some chips fly off the back into a difficult clean area. I could make a shield to stop some of that, attach it with magnets, maybe hinge it so it can deflect from the sides a little.

If there was hot swarf the operation would get corrected or moved out of the shop.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Nothing wrong with chips in the wood shop that a broom and a vac can't fix.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Like me, most seem to use a vac. I've never had a lot of concern about fire collecting the debris right off the drill bit. But Jacob Reverb has me wondering if I should be more cautious. After all it is going into a paper filter bag with plenty of air. I've never had a problem at the drill press. Even using a vac collecting sparks off a grinder I haven't had an issue. I am more cautious with a grinder sparks, I'll put the bag out side in a metal trash can at the end of the day... anyone ever catch their vac on fire?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    When drilling metal I try to contain the chips and curls and clean up right away. This keeps them from scratching wood, getting stuck in my shoes and tracked into the house, scratching me when I handle 'clean' wood etc.

My current practice is clunky. I have a cardboard box that I set on the DP table and set the DP vise in it. This catches 95% but is awkward to use and doesn't support the vise well. I'm sure I don't want this stuff in my dust collector. Any ideas?
    That's always a challenge. My idea is not possible for everyone - I keep a separate drill press in the other room for metal. I don't want the chips and I certainly don't want the coolant/cutting fluids around the wood. If you have the room, a used benchtop DP can sometimes be found for cheap.

JKJ

A small shop vac can live right below the table of the DP. Presto, no clutter.

My shop wouldn’t be a shop without clutter.

I use the small vertical mill in my husband's shop when I drill metal. I used to fight the metal chips in my woodshop, but no more!

My shop is 30x34 and mostly wood work, but I have one corner set up for welding and metal work. The walls are metal lined to 4'. I realize that it is not the best set up due to fire concerns. I keep all the wood and wood debris out of that area and if I am doing any grinding clean thoroughly before and after as well as orienting the spray. The drill press is in that area and the shop vac is the tool of choice for clean-up. I do not catch the metal at the bit but do so after it is cooled.

My woodworking shop, and metalworking shop are about 100 yards apart. That amount of separation seems about right.

I use the same system as John. Separate drill press in the mechanical end of my shop. I mostly drill steel and use oil for a lubricant . Found a second drill press really cheap in a package deal.

It's a compromise unless you have the space to build a separate area.
    I do it like everyone else, and set the area up for drilling metals and clean up after.
    One trick I learned from the machinists at work a long time ago was to use a paint brush to knock the chips and tailings off the bit as it went. It doesn't stop the amount of mess, just kind of directs it into one area. I also have a small shop vac at the drill press.

It's unusual that you believe that a small shop vac would clutter your shop. Some are so small now that they can virtually fit in a drawer when not in use.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)