Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with VFD

It took a long time but tech support finally got back with me and gave me a code that got me in. I set up the basic parameters, 3kw, 24,000 rpm, 220v power, 12amps. Now Acorn will turn the spindle on and I have it set at 10k-24k rpms. The spindle is turning approximately a little below half the called for rpm. Verified by both the VFD and a Laser. Now I need to figure out what I am missing to get the RPM up to the appropriate speeds.

Bobby...
    If you wish to have a minimum RPM, set it as Min Freq in the VFD. Set Acorn as min=0 max=24000 Get it running at full range first, then add the limits
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Thx Gary. Not concerned with the minimum just trying to get it up atleast close to running full range. It has really been slow going. I still haven't seen it cut any wood since getting it in October.

I gave up on the VFD because it lacked good manual, etc. and decided to just replace it. I put in a Huanyang VFD and spindle sped right up to 24,000 RPM. Spent most of the night trying to figure out why it wouldn't start in Acorn for me. Finally got it to turn on and off in Acorn but I have no speed control. I did before connecting it to Acorn so I know the VFD and spindle are good. I'll try to figure out tomorrow why I lost the ability to change speeds that I had before.

From the website:

VFD Analog.JPG
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

I will check it in the morning. I know that I did set it up as 1 but I may have changed it back when I needed to control from the VFD at one point. It was a bear to get it where Acorn would start and stop it. Not sure why exactly as it had been doing it before. This has been a big learning experience. Aggravating at times but satisfying also, learning more about the machine than I ever would have if it had been plug and play.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    From the website:

VFD Analog.JPG

Bobby is the VFD set up for a 2 pole or 4 pole motor?

Another thing I ran into on mine. Running off the 0-10 vdc signal the VFD display was all over the place for the Freq. I thought it was interference from some place so I purchased a little oscilloscope to check the input signal. I saw the DC but also superimposed on it was a square wave signal that I assumed was a PWM one? That was causing the unstable display and I also think it was effecting the motor speed as well.

The PWM signal input on my controller did not output enough voltage for my VFD on the PWM input.

Needless to say I now I have potentiometer mounted on the controller box so I have the adjustment at my fingertips, and not going back to the computer all the time.
    Last edited by Bill George; 01-30-2019 at 8:31 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

On my Huanyang VFD I have a relay that creates a connection between the “FWD” and “COM” pins, and that is the signal that actually turns the spindle on. My PWM control tracks very linearly for me from 1000-24000 rpm. PWM signal from my Gecko540/ESS.

Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 9.14.56 AM.jpg

ESS config Ouput Signals Tab - 2.PNG
    Last edited by Richard Gonzalez; 01-30-2019 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Wrong screenshot of config
    Colorado Woodworkers Guild
    Colorado CNC User Group

It came set at 4 pole. I can not find any kind of manual for my spindle. I read somewhere that most CNC spindles are 2 pole so I configured it that way.

Mine is connected thru a relay with common and forward. The relay wasn't clicking or the LED light wasn't coming on when I was turning on the spindle in Acorn. I think that maybe that one relay went bad. Switched it to another relay and got the LED lit up and heard it click then I got the connection to Acorn working. I think that it may not be set at the VFD for 0-10v and is at 24v. But I will have to check to confirm when I get home.

Since it was brought up about the poles, is two where I should have set them?

Gary, I checked before I left an pd02 as well as 01 were both set at 1.

My controller closes a set of contacts in the controller that tells the VFD to RUN 2 wire hook up. . Not the other way around. The RUN signal comes from Mach3/4. My book is wrong on a couple of things and trial and error seems to get it done. You would think Hitachi would get it right.

Mach does Not output 0-10 vdc signal but does a PWM signal 5 volt, that is suppose to be converted in your controller to 0-10 volts. Maybe your Acorn board does it right?

Yes your spindle motor is 2 pole.

Scope.JPG

I went to the automation website and checked all the listed settings for parameters against my settings and they were all the same. What I have found is that the spindle starts and turns off in Acorn but it just runs it at 24k RPM. Moving the spindle speeds up and down in the program have no effect but the slider indicator is moving in the program. I checked the VFD and tried turning the dial and I can adjust the speed with it.

PD01 source of run command is set at 1 external terminal
    pd02 source of operating frequency set at 1, set by ext terminals =. This signal is determined by pd90. For related parameters refer to pd70-76.

Pd70 is set at number 0, 0-10v

then I am lost.

I just figured it out. There are 3 jumper pins on the VFD. I had the jumper on the wrong 2 pins. Changed it and now Acorn controls on/off and speed.

I want to thank everyone for all their help.

Yea!!
    I have been there and done that!

Glad you are running Bobby
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Yes, me too. thanks for everything