Thread: Supernova 2 30th aniversity chuck bundle... First impressions

Supernova 2 30th aniversity chuck bundle... First impressions

I got my supernova 2 30th aniversity chuck bundle today...

First impression: I like it. It seems well machined and smooth operating. Nothing is wrong with the chuck body, hardware, fit and finish, jaws. I have not turned anything with it yet but all seems to be well.

Second impression: the case seems to be well made and secure. Sturdy with adequate latches.

Third impression: who designed that dumb case that won't fit the chuck with the jaws installed? Really do they want me to remove the jaws just to fit the chuck in the case? It's s great opportunity loose screws and everything that fits in the case. Do they really expect me to remove the jaws every time I store the chuck and not think the case is dumb? Not good in my opinion...

Clint

I got one to the case went straight to the trash. The chuck had so much oil on it the foam was drenched in it.

Mine too had plenty of oil on it. No chance of rust!

I like the the no insert direct thread. No chance of insert induced sloppiness.

Hey guys, I will tell you one thing about Tecnatool, they are the best when comes to warrenity issues. I had a malfunction on a Supernova 2 and thay are sending me a new part. I only wrote them once. Roger Davis

Roger,

That's great! The chuck looks and feels great so far.

Plastic cases like that are just something extra to throw in the trash. I like a plastic case for my circular saw (and other tools) that I may take with me. But for my lathe I have one of those cheap 5 drawer tool boxes from harbor freight. The bottom drawer is where the chuck (someday chucks) and all the jaws go. The face plate also goes in that drawer. I can even put the chuck with the cole jaws installed in the drawer. Being on wheels I can move it closer to me if needed easily.

Why would you want to put your chuck back in the case? I just store mine wherever there's room on the shelf to put it. You'll use it often. Putting it in the case would just be a waste of time and effort. Mine didn't have a case..... I think I would have tossed it out too. Just my $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Bach View Post
    who designed that dumb case that won't fit the chuck with the jaws installed?
    That's my thought on almost every plastic case that came with a tool, with the possible exception of a router or two. I suspect a prime spec for the design is the cost and making it bigger would cost a few cents more.

Socket/wrench sets are guilty too. Who but the casual user uses just what came in the set? Often they don't even design a spot to put little adapters and things. I throw them away and carry around a real tool box. Or if the case is nice, I've been known to cut out the molded plastic insides and use the case shell for something else.

That said, I've never had a chuck that came in a case. All of mine are in metal drawers where I instantly can see all the jaws, that is when they are not scattered around the workbench holding partially finished things. Even if jaws would fit, I wouldn't want to get down and open cases looking for one with the jaws I want to use now.

Clint, this would be the PERFECT opportunity to provide feedback to Nova. Some people might use a case that worked.

JKJ

I'd rather not pay for for all those cases that end up in the trash. I've kept a few but most just end up being empty, awkward shaped boxes.
    RD

An example of a useful case is the one that came with an er-32 collet set I have. It works perfectly and holds all the collets and accessories. I actually use it. It is about the same quality as the nova case. It does hold a collet holder with a collet installed. A nice touch. If a case won't do what it is supposed to do I would rather have a cardboard box at a lower cost. Now how do I contact the correct person at nova? They might just give me the wrong case number. (Snicker!)...

Clint

Well, I cut a ring out of the lid's foam big enough to allow the largest jaws to fit into. Now everything fits into the case. The t wrench doesn't fit well but the case closes and latches.

C

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Bach View Post
    ...The t wrench doesn't fit well but the case closes and latches.
    This is what I do with my chuck keys, wrenches and other small stuff - within arm's reach if the lathe is close to a wall the way I like it.

lathe_PM_cu2_IMG_5751.jpg

JKJ

I received my "part" today, a brand new Supernova 2. I am elated. Nova at Tecnatool is great. Roger.