Thread: How Many Issues PER Year

Blog Entries

How Many Issues PER Year

I just get them and read them, save them, and when bored go get an old copy and read it again. I am talking primarily about Fine Woodworking and This Old House. I was thinking why are there so few of them and dah! I looked and they only come out 6 -7 times a year.
    I'm sure the effort to conceive, write, correct and re-write corrected portions is complex and time consuming. My hat is off to the writers and editors of these publications. I am interested in how they stay fresh and on schedule to meet their deadlines. I am thinking bi-monthly publishing of these magazines is a severe undertaking.

Maybe some body like Megan or Chris could elaborate.

I should have included Popular Woodworking in the first paragraph.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 01-16-2019 at 5:45 PM.

On the other hand, they could have done like some of the outdoor magazines, sending out 120 pages of ads, 12 pages of paid reviews and a 2 page genuine article. I subscribe to a 6 time per year sort of outdoors magazine. It has its share of ads but is about half genuine articles by average joes, complete with crappy spelling and some of the articles about do it yourselfing are kind of lame, but over all an enjoyable magazine, from which I manage to get a few pearls every two months. But oddly, I have three file boxes of very old hunting and fishing magazines. When I say old, I mean 1880's to 1930's. Most of the companies are long gone. ever hear of Outer's Magazine, National Sportsman, American Field? I have probably read every article in every magazine at least once. But it is still great pulling those old things out and going through them. The art on the front covers is just amazing. The guy that publishes the six issue magazine, I mentioned is named Charley. I just can't imagine how Charley manages to get so many articles lined up, search for articles himself sometimes and plans it all to get the magazine out to the printer every month for distribution. I have a stack of his older issues as well and drag them out sometimes.

The two woodworking magazines ( Wood, and Woodsmith) I subscribe to, do 6 issues per year. Unfortunately, they both arrive within days of each other. When I get them, first I read the "reader's tips," and later go through the rest of the issue. In talking to Jim Heavy from Wood magazine, they plan about a year ahead. This allows for them to have articles that are timely to the seasons.

I've just gone through all of my back issues of FWW and saved the ones that I have interest, the rest go to the grandson. I was amazed by the repetition of articles. I got sick and tired of looking through the endless articles about all the ways to cut dove tails, mortice and tenon joints and the endless drivel about finishes. PWW has gone down the tubes since CS and MF have left. I've already canceled FWW and would have canceled PWW if not for the free subscription to a friend offer. Maybe it's time to me to move on. Been doing some carving as of late.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Maybe some body like Megan or Chris could elaborate.

I should have included Popular Woodworking in the first paragraph.
    Megan and Chris are neither associated with PWW anymore. Chris started Lost Art Press a while ago and Megan is working with a twice-a-year publication called Mortise and Tenon.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Same here. When I noticed the Pop Science mag I was reading said 'Spring Issue', and it was like an ad catalog, I decided to cancel.

Pop Mechanix is on probation. Too many '100 things you should know' issues that are basically ads.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    That explains why the magazine sucks now.

I love reading about woodworking techniques but find the problem/multiple solution format of this forum to be far more educational. The SMC six buck contributor annual price is less than a single issue of FWW.

Blog Entries
    But you can't lie in bed and read an article.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    But you can't lie in bed and read an article.
    Sure you can, that's what they make tablets for.