Thread: Straight router bit on maple

Straight router bit on maple

I used some scrap maple I had sitting around to make some edge banding on a plywood jig. I wanted to cut a rabbet into the maple to accept the guide bushing/bit combo. While cutting the rabbet, the straight bit kept making ribbons from the cut and left a poor finish cut. I tried a second bit to see if there was a problem with the first and had the same problem. Any guesses why this happened? Problem with my bits (dull?) or does this tend to happen with maple?

Yes. The bit might be dull. A single flute bit will cut much faster. I've worked with guys who had 20 or 30 years in the
    biz and had never tried one. The difference is always a revelation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Yes. The bit might be dull. A single flute bit will cut much faster. I've worked with guys who had 20 or 30 years in the
    biz and had never tried one. The difference is always a revelation.
    Is a straight bit appropriate for this task? A single flute bit doesn’t seem to be carried by the box stores around me...I’m sure I can find one either online or next time I’m at a real woodworking store.

Sounds to me like a straight bit is appropriate, but there is often another way. The single flute bits are seldom found in
    stores. I don't know why