Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How important is table saw levelness front to back?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How important is table saw levelness front to back?

So, I just set up my new Grizzly G0833P (I initially was going to go with a SS, but decided on a diff route in case you read an earlier post of mine and are now confused) and am getting it all dialed in now. I have it level left to right dead nuts on from the center table out both the left and right extension wings. I have it mounted on a mobile base and in order for me to get it level front to back, I have to adjust the leveling feet on the mobile base so much that when I "flip" the casters down to move it, I can't because the leveling feet are too far out. Any advice?

Thanks,
    Kevin

I don't think level is important at all as long as the tabel is flat and the fence is square to the blade.

As long as you have the blade square to the table and have the saw on a reasonably flat surface you should be fine having the whole saw tilt slightly in any direction. As the G0833P is a hybrid saw with the trunnions mounted to the table and you don't have any legs on the extension wings, having the table out of level shouldn't make any difference. As long as you don't have it so tilted that things can potentially slide/roll off I wouldn't stress. Chances are that your floors are not perfectly level anyways.

Having a level table surface might only be a concern if you're using a Wixey, iGauging, or similar digital angle finder to determine the actual angle of the blade. But as long as you zero out the angle finder first by setting it on the table surface...and you've already confirmed that the bland and table are square to each other, then you should be good to go.

I can't imagine why it matters if your table saw is level or not...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    Having a level table surface might only be a concern if you're using a Wixey, iGauging, or similar digital angle finder to determine the actual angle of the blade. But as long as you zero out the angle finder first by setting it on the table surface...and you've already confirmed that the bland and table are square to each other, then you should be good to go.
    When using a Wixey or IGauging type blade angle gauge you start by setting the gauge on the table and zeroing it, then putting it on the blade. The angle reading is the angle difference between the table and blade. You can then adjust the blade for any angle desired. As long as you zero the gauge as the first step it doesn't matter how un-level the saw table is.

My shop floor is anything but level. It doesn't matter, as long as the gauges are used correctly.

Charley

Level to the world doesn't matter within reason, as others have noted. However, a table that is out of level with respect to the blade can cause burning, binding, or kickback when cutting at other than a 90° angle.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by James Morgan View Post
    Level to the world doesn't matter within reason, as others have noted.
    Nobody has mentioned the elephant in the room. If your equipment is not level, it leads to a vague sense of unease, that something is not right with the world. It can cause your sawing to be uneven, and your panels to be canted. It is the beginning of German Expressionism in your work. Slippery slope.

This may be buried in some info I didn't read in other posts but the level thing really doesnt matter out feed table or not (anyone would know the outer has to be on the same plane as the saws table) but the only reason I worry about level is more so with regards to elevation. Every tool in my shop that is in relation to each other has their table height at exactly the same elevation. So if I'm cutting something long on the slider (10ft) and it over travels a nearby tool, it clears. In effect every tool in the shop becomes an oufeed table for every other tool that's within distance.

If the saw was out of level the material would over or undershoot a potential obstruction.

In all but the most spacious of shops this can be advantageous because theres nothing worse than being 6" away from completing an operation and the tip of your work hits a downstream tool.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 01-17-2019 at 4:00 PM.

Front to back level is crucial. Being out of level makes the nickle test virtually impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Front to back level is crucial. Being out of level makes the nickle test virtually impossible.
    Well thank you Johnny, coffee just went up my nose.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Smira View Post
    So, I just set up my new Grizzly G0833P (I initially was going to go with a SS, but decided on a diff route in case you read an earlier post of mine and are now confused) and am getting it all dialed in now. I have it level left to right dead nuts on from the center table out both the left and right extension wings. I have it mounted on a mobile base and in order for me to get it level front to back, I have to adjust the leveling feet on the mobile base so much that when I "flip" the casters down to move it, I can't because the leveling feet are too far out. Any advice?
    The uneven table surface may affect using an outfeed table, giving it a tendency to lift the board one way or the other.

What mobile base are you using? BTW, the Sawstop Industrial Mobile Base (which BTW is awesome) can be used on non-Sawstop saws as well, with a little jigging. BTW BTW, the Sawstops can also be had with a really nice folding outfeed table.

If you have a shop with a sloped floor, such as is the case with many garages that are repurposed/used for woodworking activities, it's "generally best" to have the tool either perpendicular to the slope or with the slope...not angled across it...for best results including accommodating things like outfeed support. It gets funky sometimes if you don't do that in my experience. (my shop floor is sloped) Level doesn't matter so much relative to cutting but it can have an impact if you set things that roll on the top...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I do level all my machines that are fixed. For mobile machines I do have marks on the floor and put certain machines in the same place each time and they are leveled for these spots. When not in those spots I do not worry about it. Perhaps yo could have a strip of 1/4" or 1/2" plywood you set under the feet before lowering?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Unless you have some type of sliding table attachment, it wont matter much. With a slider it does matter, because the table will go one way or the other when you might not want it to. I generally try to level all my tools within reason. The slider i spent 20 mins on until it was good in every direction.