Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How important is table saw levelness front to back?

Level to the world doesn't matter within reason, as others have noted. However, a table that is out of level with respect to the blade can cause burning, binding, or kickback when cutting at other than a 90° angle.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by James Morgan View Post
    Level to the world doesn't matter within reason, as others have noted.
    Nobody has mentioned the elephant in the room. If your equipment is not level, it leads to a vague sense of unease, that something is not right with the world. It can cause your sawing to be uneven, and your panels to be canted. It is the beginning of German Expressionism in your work. Slippery slope.

This may be buried in some info I didn't read in other posts but the level thing really doesnt matter out feed table or not (anyone would know the outer has to be on the same plane as the saws table) but the only reason I worry about level is more so with regards to elevation. Every tool in my shop that is in relation to each other has their table height at exactly the same elevation. So if I'm cutting something long on the slider (10ft) and it over travels a nearby tool, it clears. In effect every tool in the shop becomes an oufeed table for every other tool that's within distance.

If the saw was out of level the material would over or undershoot a potential obstruction.

In all but the most spacious of shops this can be advantageous because theres nothing worse than being 6" away from completing an operation and the tip of your work hits a downstream tool.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 01-17-2019 at 4:00 PM.

Front to back level is crucial. Being out of level makes the nickle test virtually impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Front to back level is crucial. Being out of level makes the nickle test virtually impossible.
    Well thank you Johnny, coffee just went up my nose.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)