Thread: Boss Laser Lenses

Boss Laser Lenses

Hello there, I recently joined the forum, thanks for having me.

We recently purchased the Boss LS-1416(Upgraded to LS-1420 size).

I've conducted a search but there's not a ton of targeted info on the topic of lenses. The laser comes with a 2" lens, how many lenses and what sizes would you guys recommend having on hand for a variety of projects? We plan to be engraving and cutting pretty much everything possible, more specifics TBD. I know the different focal lengths are for different purposes, that isn't my question (sort of, unless you've got some good advice on that!)

I see on the Boss site they say the lenses are made by American Photonics. Is it better to purchase the lenses through a third party like them? Or direct from Boss? I briefly looked at the American Photonics site but was a little confused by all the sizing numbers and such.

Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by Lukas Stanley View Post
    Hello there, I recently joined the forum, thanks for having me.

We recently purchased the Boss LS-1416(Upgraded to LS-1420 size).

I've conducted a search but there's not a ton of targeted info on the topic of lenses. The laser comes with a 2" lens, how many lenses and what sizes would you guys recommend having on hand for a variety of projects? We plan to be engraving and cutting pretty much everything possible, more specifics TBD. I know the different focal lengths are for different purposes, that isn't my question (sort of, unless you've got some good advice on that!)

I see on the Boss site they say the lenses are made by American Photonics. Is it better to purchase the lenses through a third party like them? Or direct from Boss? I briefly looked at the American Photonics site but was a little confused by all the sizing numbers and such.

Thanks all!
    A Search for lens brought up 290 posts....
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    A Search for lens brought up 290 posts....

Yes it did thanks. I've read through almost all of those from 2016 until the present, they didn't answer my more specific questions or pertaining to Boss products, or I wouldn't have asked.

Its a Chinese laser you can measure the lens and purchase just about anyplace. Measure the diameter of the one you have now then look for it and the focal length you want to purchase. Did you read this? It was on the first page of the Search.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....highlight=Lens
    Last edited by Bill George; 01-16-2019 at 11:26 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I consider Chinese lenses to be consumables, because no matter how hard I try to keep them pristine, they scratch easily, and they develop dark spots, which I assume starts up when my 80w of power starts fusing the particulates that inevitably collect on the lens while in use-- and sometimes those dark spots lead to cracks. That all said, I've put cheap lenses in my 'good' machines and I've found no discernible difference in engraving quality. Even cracked lenses seem to work okay although I'm sure some power density loss is going to happen...

Then there's the lens types, ZnSe (most typical), GaAs (more durable, but visible light such as red LED light won't pass thru), and lens shapes; plano convex (top side convex, bottom side flat), and meniscus (top convex, bottom slightly concave) - supposedly meniscus are 'better' but I have a variety of both and frankly find little if any difference in them. Seems most western lasers come with plano convex, and very spendy at that. However, I have 2 machines over 14 years old with the original lenses and you have to look hard for any scratches, so the high price tags do get you longevity if nothing else.

For me, since 'disposable' Chinese lenses can be had from $18 to $30, I buy them like candy And FWIW I buy all my lenses and mirrors from Cloudray Laser on ebay. I've bought 2 fiber laser lenses from them, $100-ish and they work just fine. And the cheap C02 lenses are good quality- for cheap C02 lenses -- and I don't work for them, I just like their stuff and their service

Of all the lenses I use my current favorite is a 2-1/2" focus lens, I got 2 of them not long ago, and it's a great 'tweener' lens, engraves much like a 2" but with more range of focus...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    ...Of all the lenses I use my current favorite is a 2-1/2" focus lens
    Same here, the 63.5mm (2.5") lens is what I use 99+% of the time.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Thanks guys! I'll do some more reading, and probably buy a 2.5" to either replace the included 2" with or just have as a spare. Appreciate it.

Hi Lukas , I have two boss lasers and I get my lenses from lightobject. They are priced nicely and last a long time. I keep a 4 inch lens on my 100 watt machine and a 2.5 on the 60 watt. If they get a dark spot, from smoke, you can easily clean with acetone. Just be sure to get the correct nozzle to use with the longer lens . Out two boss machines have been amazing so far.

Thanks Jason! Excellent lead I'll check them out. Ours is 65W, I'll look into the 2.5" as it seems that is the way to go.

FWIW, and I mentioned this in another thread;

These pieces of wood- the top measured .75", the bottom .802"-
    My 80w machine was able to cut these in one pass with a plain old 2" lens...
    cuts.jpg

--my 3" lens wouldn't get thru either one, at all. Got about 3/4 the way thru, and done...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Hey Lukas,
    I realize this is an old thread but this site won't let me send a PM (apparently i've been gone too long and things have changed) -- I just have a simple question - how big is your LS-1416 with the 20" area upgrade? I'm wondering if it'll still fit through the door of my house, lol!

Thanks,
    Jason
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

well if you go to Boss laser for this machine theres a ask a question box right there Im sure they could give the dimentions of the machine BOSS LS-1416

SKU:LS1416DX
    The LS-1416 Gen-5 laser engraver offers maximum power and more engraving work space than the common 16x12" platforms. Comes standard with premium U.S. optics, 50W CO2 laser tube or Upgrade to our new 70W tube rated an estimated 5,000 hours.. FREE 2020 LIGHTBURN Upgrade - DEC SALES LIVE!

Ask a Question About This Product

Customize Your Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    Hey Lukas,
    I realize this is an old thread but this site won't let me send a PM (apparently i've been gone too long and things have changed) -- I just have a simple question - how big is your LS-1416 with the 20" area upgrade? I'm wondering if it'll still fit through the door of my house, lol!

Thanks,
    Jason
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    well if you go to Boss laser for this machine theres a ask a question box right there Im sure they could give the dimentions of the machine BOSS LS-1416
    Yeah, I tried that. I also thought it might be possible to discuss with an actual owner. I'm sorry for trying to have a conversation.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    Yeah, I tried that. I also thought it might be possible to discuss with an actual owner. I'm sorry for trying to have a conversation.

Your question was how big is the machine with the upgrade and going directly toboss is the best place to get that answer. If you want to send PM's and talk to owers here you must become a contributor . hit the donate button top of any page donate a whole 6 bucks for a years subscription , then you get all privileges, like sending PM's and seeing pictures and what not.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

OP question: how many lenses and what sizes would you guys recommend having on hand for a variety of projects?

Bing search: "effects of different lens sizes on co2 laser engraver"

Response:Attachment 447520

Answer: Use the one that comes with it and if you find a situation that it is not working out with, buy a different sized one.

(PS. You must be a contributor to see attachments. )