Thread: Take a Trip Across the River

Blog Entries

Take a Trip Across the River

My wife gets cabin fever, so today seemed like a good day for a drive across the river and back. We took the Lewis and Clark Bridge across the Columbia River. We then drove west toward the coast. The plan was to catch the Westport-Cathlamet ferry back across.

There was an open antique shop in Clatskanie, OR so we stopped for a look. A lot of antique shops, especially in small towns, close on Mondays and Tuesdays. There was a Samson #8014 14" brace and a Stanley #921 12" brace. There was also an antique adjustable hose nozzle with Fulton incised in the hose connection. The price was $25, my offer of $20 was accepted. No sales tax in Oregon. The Samson is my first 14" brace. Maybe it is time to find my biggest bit and drill some big holes.

Pictures tomorrow.

The #921 has the same style chuck as my other three braces. All but one of this group has the closed ratchet with the wide knurled ring.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 01-16-2019 at 1:12 AM. Reason: A lot of things
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Man, you scared me with the title to this string.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cros...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Man, you scared me with the title to this string.

[edited]
    It wasn't the River Styx.

The Columbia River is usually a rather pleasant river to cross with some great views from the bridges and ferries.

There are even steam powered river boats plying the river. Kind of fun to view from shore. The view from the deck is likely also a great view.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My wife gets cabin fever, so today seemed like a good day for a drive across the river and back. We took the Lewis and Clark Bridge across the Columbia River. We then drove west toward the coast. The plan was to catch the Westport-Cathlamet ferry back across.

There was an open antique shop in Clatskanie, OR so we stopped for a look. A lot of antique shops, especially in small towns, close on Mondays and Tuesdays. There was a Samson #8014 14" brace and a Stanley #921 12" brace. There was also an antique adjustable hose nozzle with Fulton incised in the hose connection. The price was $25, my offer of $20 was accepted. No sales tax in Oregon. The Samson is my first 14" brace. Maybe it is time to find my biggest bit and drill some big holes.

Pictures tomorrow.

The #921 has the same style chuck as my other three braces. All but one of this group has the closed ratchet with the wide knurled ring.

jtk
    Jim,

I've gone to using a 12" for most things, in another year or so I'll be looking for a 14"er. After that I guess it is electrons.

Good find.

ken

Blog Entries
    I am pleased it is a fun trip.
    I don't know why I am adding this link. It just interests me. Living in Galveston County Texas, we see a lot of wet weather.

https://www.woodmagazine.com/materia...outdoor-lumber

Blog Entries
    I am pleased it is a fun trip.
    I don't know why I am adding this link. It just interests me. Living in Galveston County Texas, we see a lot of wet weather.

https://www.woodmagazine.com/materia...outdoor-lumber
    Thanks for the link on out door wood. There are a lot of outdoor items on my honey do list.

jtk

Blog Entries
    I have had good luck with white oak. I am going to build the Fine Woodworking Adirondack chairs and will use white oak. I am in a moist environment here in Galveston County Texas. It is 70 degree light drizzle today. The white oak will hold up in these conditions. The spring will be spectacular when it arrives in three or four weeks. It is drizzling at this moment.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 01-16-2019 at 3:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    I have had good luck with white oak. I am going to build the Fine Woodworking Adirondack chairs and will use white oak. I am in a moist environment here in Galveston County Texas. It is 70 degree light drizzle today. The white oak will hold up in these conditions. The spring will be spectacular when it arrives in three or four weeks.
    Here is a trick that may or may not be the Fine Woodworking Adirondack chair plans:

Dovetail.jpg

This is the joint of the front leg and the armrest. This chair was made of Borg "facia wood" and is still sitting out in the yard for about 8 years. It was painted.

My honey do list includes a couple of porches/decks. Oak would be pretty costly around here.

jtk

Blog Entries
    I saved the image so I can refer back to it.
    You don't do porches and decks with that joint. I will use it on the chairs.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 01-16-2019 at 6:05 PM.

Blog Entries
    Took a picture of my main set of braces today:

4 Stanley Braces & one Samson 14%22.jpg

The 14" at the top and the 12" right under it are the two picked up yesterday.

That and the extras laying around should take care of most of my boring needs.

Here is the garden hose nozzle:

Fulton Adjustable Garden Nozzle.jpg

So far my attempts at finding anything like it or about it online have been for naught.

jtk

I remember that kind of hose nozzle. That's all we ever had, when I was growing up. They still make many variations:
    https://www.amazon.com/Dramm-12380-H...5ABGRMEJHWT79Y

Blog Entries
    We have a few, but all of them have cylindrical/conical bodies where this one is an octagon.

Of course the wife thinks it is ancient. My feeling is it isn't older than running water in folks homes.

jtk

Never seen one like that. Does it have any remnants of a washer in it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Never seen one like that. Does it have any remnants of a washer in it?
    The hose washer was an obvious replacement. It is cold enough around here that it might not get hooked up to a hose until spring, or my next trip out to the greenhouse.

jtk