Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My new Dewalt planer is leaving train tracks on wood...

You know the blades are 2-sided? You can just take them out and flip them around for a fresh edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    You know the blades are 2-sided? You can just take them out and flip them around for a fresh edge.
    Very true...and one can just flip one knife which preserves an option if another nick happens.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

So the first reply to the OP was correct. 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    So the first reply to the OP was correct. 
    Yup, only took 5 days and 3 pages of help to get back around to the first response. LOL

FWIW, here is a few tips regarding this planer...the "better" DeWalt brand blades have a little diamond engraved into the side of the blades. Supposedly these were made out of better, harder steel. I found that they outlasted the blades that didn't have the mark.
    Be careful when you remove and reinstall the bolts that retain the blades, if over tightened they will break very easily because the head is so shallow and the Torx center cutout is deep, this doesn't leave a lot of metal just above the threads. Suggest you get a replacement bolt kit from DeWalt. Best suggestion is to get a Byrd Shelix if you really like the planer. If you are going to continue to run the straight blades a very small dab of blue Loc-Tite on the blade bolts is a good idea...they seem to be able to work their way loose. I had mine spit a bolt once and it destroyed the impeller that blows the chips out, what a racket that made. Lastly, I had a lot of trouble with the feed rollers in mine when the ambient temperature was below like 50 degrees...they wanted to just slip and not feed. As soon as it warmed up and/or I got it in my heated shop the problem has not returned.
    Last edited by Martin Siebert; 01-20-2019 at 11:24 PM.