Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My new Dewalt planer is leaving train tracks on wood...

Blog Entries
    I have diamond hones that I use to sharpen blades. They are well worth the price.

They are in one spot on the top. If I run a piece of wood thru on the left it doesnt show. So its somewhere in the middle right. I'll do what you guys suggest and raise it up and stick my head in there. I'll try to remember to unplug it. Lol

i recommend against sprays since you won’t use much and this stuff lasts along time. Also, it’s hard to control a spray.
    You don't spray it on directly, you spray it on a cloth then wipe down the rollers/platen. I only mention Tech Spray by name because it's one I've used & it worked very well & Yes - it will last a long time, just like WD40 does - - at least for people that use it for things it works on, not on everything .
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Isopropyl alcohol didn't cause any adverse effects on my Ridgid TP1300 but that could be because I didn't use it enough. I only cleaned my rollers with it about once a month for 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    +1 - 100% on the dot.
    Alcohol will dry out rubber and cause it to crack.
    Petro solvents will put too much oil into the rubber and cause the rollers to slip.

Rubber Rejuvenator - such as Tech Spray and/or Fedron (no longer made - but still a lot around in old printer repair places, typewriter repair places & printing places that are going out of business) - will clean and restore the rubber rollers.

You can also use it on the rollers of your printers to restore them to better than new condition.

Okay. I have this thing raised 6" and I'm looking and can't seem to find anything that could be causing those tracks. The blades are not nicked. The rollers are a bit dusty. I turned it on and watched the rollers, etc spin and there is nothing I can see that would cause those tracks. I'm just going to clean it up a bit and see what happens. Other than that, I'm stumped.

Check for burrs or rough spots on the metal too. Table side and head side. Lay down some pencil marks on the table, run the board against the mark, measure the distance from the edge of the board to the marks. See if those line up with the bolts that hold the blades. By measuring you may be able to locate something.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Start a piece of wood. As soon as it shows on the outfeed side, turn the planer off. Mark the infeed and outfeed sides of the planer on the wood. You now have a ruler that will tell you how deep into the planer the mark is being made. That should narrow it down.

I had trouble with my planer where wood hung. I ran a piece, let it hang and marked the infeed. Found the problem in a flash.
    That's brilliant Roger. OP: Do this with a piece of wood as wide as the planer, adding the reference marks in infeed and outfeed sides. This will likely tell you exactly where the problem occurs in 3D space (inc: top/bottom of board), Once you know the exact position of the problem you can probably figure it out.
    Mark McFarlane

I just cleaned the thing from the bottom up. The I took the top off and clean from the top down. There was some pitch trapped up in there but it didnt solve the problem.

The track are not where blade screws are. And I can also tell that the screws haven't been rubbing up against anything. The only thing I know is that the tracks are definitely raised. I'm lost.

Michael, your earlier post indicated the tracks were indented...are the tracks actually raised?

Glycerine works great to soften/revive old and hardened rubber.

If the tracks are raised you have notched knives, nothing else causes that that I have heard of.
    Zach

Flip the knives to a fresh edge (easy in those lunchbox ones I think) and see what happens.

This should be pretty easy figure out. You know exactly where it occurs, and there are only a few things that touch the wood as it goes through.

The only thing I know is that the tracks are definitely raised
    Has to be a nick in the knife to cause this
    indentation can be different things

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Costa View Post
    I just cleaned the thing from the bottom up. The I took the top off and clean from the top down. There was some pitch trapped up in there but it didnt solve the problem.

The track are not where blade screws are. And I can also tell that the screws haven't been rubbing up against anything. The only thing I know is that the tracks are definitely raised. I'm lost.
    Definitely raised? Raised tracks usually points to the knives. Your picture in the initial post shows the tracks differences in elevation to the board surface is very subtle. Being very subtle, it will be very hard to see that on the knives. If you cannot see that on the knives, look for other signs such as pitch resin build up on the bevel of the knives. Magnifying glass may help you see it better. My other suggestion is to change the knives and keep the original if the new knives does not solve the problem.

I believe I found the answer. It's probably a dull part of the blade at that spot. I ran a piece of slightly warped purple heart thru it once. I then decided it wasn't worth the effort and decided to get a new piece of wood. Because purple heart is so dense and hard it most like dulled the blades in that one section.

Yes, the tracks are raised. I was running pine through it and stopping halfway to determine the exact location. After a few passes, a straight edge and a flashlight I could tell they were raised track.

So, I can either have the blades sharpened, replace them, or just deal for now. The tracks that show up would be sanded off anyway.