Thread: Drill Press Dust Collection Ideas

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I toss a roll of masking tape on the work piece & I have a hose from the DC or a shop vac positioned similar to what Glenn's 2nd picture shows.
    The roll corrals the stuff that comes off the bit & the vac whisks it away slick as a whistle.
    I've found nothing else that works even remotely close to the efficiency, simplicity, safety and ease of use.

The type of dust that comes off is is a nuisance, in that it creates a mess, but it is not dangerous
    Somewhat true - however, a 35mm Forstner bit - for making cup holes - creates an enormous amount of shavings, Rosette cutters are even worse.
    Stopping after each cut to clear away the huge amount of debris gets real old - real fast - and it's tempting to just keep the drill press running while the mess is cleared away.
    Very large - very sharp bits like that are something you really wish to avoid. They can maim just as easily as a saw.

With an old roll of masking tape being close the the spinning bit, there's no danger at all that I can see. If it happens to get into the bit - it just sort of bounces off. No harm no foul.
    Something like a bench duster, like the $.99 on sale ones from Harbor Freight can either get all tangled up in the bit - and/or/ really "take off" if the bit hits the wooden handle - - -been there/done that - with both.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 01-17-2019 at 8:30 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon