Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drill Press Dust Collection Ideas

Drill Press Dust Collection Ideas

Does any one have a good system for collecting shaving debris from the drill press? I am using the Woodpecker drill press table and fence. Had I seen the Lee Valley table with dust port on the fence I probably would have bought that one. When drilling it doesn't take long for the shavings to accumulate in the corner of the garage. Thanks

I have the same problem. If you go to woodarchivist.com and search for "drill press dust" plans for a dust collection jig come up.

I just found a solution that works for me. I have a 4" drop with a blast gate,then I connected a articulating hose from Lee Valley. It works great,you can reposition it wherever it needs to be for the job at hand. The hose pulls out and srunches up small but more important holds a shape if you bend it etc. It was in the "dust collection" section of their catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post

I've got almost the same setup, but I use a 4" hose clamp with a strong magnet on the end (purchased from local Woodcraft store). The magnet attaches to the steel post of the drill and can be re-positioned very easily. Using an open-ended 4" hose picks up most of the debris from the types of operations I perform, including drum sanding.

I put a small bungee cord on the column, and I slip a Bosch dust collection host through it. It holds tight enough that I can adjust the location of the hose. That approach gets most dust, believe it or not. It works great.

I just keep the shop vac hose nearby, suck up debris whenever it starts to annoy me, sometimes inhaling other things left lying around.

8. Here's my set-up. The 6" duct has lots of airflow to suck up dust and shavings.

I tried to get the pics oriented properly but was unable to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weingarden View Post
    Here's my set-up. The 6" duct has lots of airflow to suck up dust and shavings.

I tried to get the pics oriented properly but was unable to.
    Seems like you might want some sort of removable mesh in front of the opening?

10. I haven't gotten to the mesh/screen yet, but it's a good point since anything can get sucked up.

I’m pretty anal retentive about dust collection. Two machines I oretty much gave up on. The drill press and the bandsaw. I have dust collection on the bandsaw but it’s usless.

As someone else said I just keep the shop vac close and give a quick pass after every operation.

Blog Entries
    Shop made block-o-wood attached at t-track:

DP-DC (1).jpg

Stay-put hose:

DP-DC (2).jpg

I still use the same setup but, added a fence port during one of Rockler's "Garage Sales".
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I made a left and a right hand box that attaches to the fence and extracts the shavings.

Here's a photo of it being used to drill the 35mm hole for hinges.

DRILLING 2.jpg

Regards, Rod.

Can you send a pic of this? It sounds simple and since my workspace is small my dust collection has to be moved from machine to machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    I’m pretty anal retentive about dust collection. Two machines I oretty much gave up on. The drill press and the bandsaw. I have dust collection on the bandsaw but it’s usless.

As someone else said I just keep the shop vac close and give a quick pass after every operation.
    Dust control is important. However I do not do anything with the drill press. The type of dust that comes off is is a nuisance, in that it creates a mess, but it is not dangerous in the way that a bandsaw or table saw create fine dust that we can inhale. I just clean up with a dust collector.

The bandsaw is another matter, and I posted on this recently. This modification is fantastic, and clears away 90%+ of all dust that enters the bandsaw. There is some dust remaining on the table top, but even this is much reduced.

Regards from Perth

Derek