Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drill Press Dust Collection Ideas

I toss a roll of masking tape on the work piece & I have a hose from the DC or a shop vac positioned similar to what Glenn's 2nd picture shows.
    The roll corrals the stuff that comes off the bit & the vac whisks it away slick as a whistle.
    I've found nothing else that works even remotely close to the efficiency, simplicity, safety and ease of use.

The type of dust that comes off is is a nuisance, in that it creates a mess, but it is not dangerous
    Somewhat true - however, a 35mm Forstner bit - for making cup holes - creates an enormous amount of shavings, Rosette cutters are even worse.
    Stopping after each cut to clear away the huge amount of debris gets real old - real fast - and it's tempting to just keep the drill press running while the mess is cleared away.
    Very large - very sharp bits like that are something you really wish to avoid. They can maim just as easily as a saw.

With an old roll of masking tape being close the the spinning bit, there's no danger at all that I can see. If it happens to get into the bit - it just sort of bounces off. No harm no foul.
    Something like a bench duster, like the $.99 on sale ones from Harbor Freight can either get all tangled up in the bit - and/or/ really "take off" if the bit hits the wooden handle - - -been there/done that - with both.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 01-17-2019 at 8:30 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I'm currently rebuilding an old drill press and thought of trying the system showcased in this video. Anybody tried it? Thoughts on the design?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbvteT9n6lA

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Reich View Post
    I'm currently rebuilding an old drill press and thought of trying the system showcased in this video. Anybody tried it? Thoughts on the design?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbvteT9n6lA
    That looks like the best solution I've seen, thanks for sharing.

Thoughts on the design?
    Way too slow to reposition between holes. That would drive me nuts. I'll stick with my far simpler and way faster method of just tossing a roll of masking tape down on where I want to drill. I could drill a couple of doors in the time it takes to drill one hole with that thing.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I use an older version of this Rockler piece connected to overhead dust collection and attached to the fence of my drill press. It works well for most drilling, but is blocked by very thick pieces of wood.
    Attached Images Attached Images