Thread: Magnetic Switch remote button wiring

Magnetic Switch remote button wiring

Hey folks, I'm in the process of refurbing a mid 70's powermatic PM100.

The original motor starter was shot, so I installed a Woodtek single phase Magnetic Starter switch. (Https://woodworker.com/1hp-5-8amp-1p...su-923-950.asp) It stuck out way too far when mounted to the front, so I put it inside the cabinet base near the motor. However, it isn't the most convenient to turn it on or off.

I would like to add some push buttons that can be mounted at the front of the machine and wire these to the contactor inside the magnetic Switch. Just unsure of the wiring? I have a two button control module that came with the planer that I would like to use if possible. Both buttons are normally open. Sending this out to the electrical gurus of the creek for help.

Thanks in advance!
    IMG_20190115_084736.jpg
    MVIMG_20190115_084742.jpg
    IMG_20190115_084807.jpg

IMG_20190115_183700.jpg
    Last edited by Dustin talbott; 01-15-2019 at 7:27 PM.

The stop switch should be NC, ANYTHING ELSE IS UNSAFE. If you use a NC stop switch, switch failure means it can not be stopped except by unplugging. Look up four wire control station wiring.
    Bill D.

Are you sure both buttons on your stop start station are normally closed? It looks like every one I have ever seen.
    As for wiring there wold be many answers on the Google. Take your time you will get it.

If you use the buttons you have make sure they are rated for the correct voltage.

I’m with the other guys above. The stop button should be a normally closed button. Even in your wiring diagram, it shows (or calls for) a normally closed stop button. Can you please show the inside guts of the Allen Bradley start stop box?

Ok! I was incorrect, my Allen Bradley control switch is normally open for ON and Normally closed for OFF. Sorry I missed that before and thanks guys for pointing it out!

I did some research and think I have a working diagram. Please take a look and let me know your thoughts. Am I correct in that PIN 95 on the overload relay will trip or disconnect when voltage is Removed? If I am adding an off button, I would assume I need to cut the constant feed of 120v and add the NC off switch in between. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

1321404734.jpg
    1321404734.jpg

Yes, that's correct

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Yes, that's correct
    I concur

ten characters

Put a second on/off on my cabinet saw and fastened it to a dust collector mount above the table to be able to reach it when cutting sheet goods. Found myself using it much more than the factory front/left rail mounted one. Took a bit of head scratching to figure out the wiring but well worth it.