Thread: Preventing Copper Tarnish?

Preventing Copper Tarnish?

Guys,

I'm making myself a cane from red oak. I've fashioned a derivation of a Fritz type handle for it and I'm securing the handle to the shaft with a dowel that passes through the shaft, but is unseen within the handle. I've come across a video on YouTube posted by a guy in Australia, which shows how to carve a Celtic weave into the shaft, which I might try. For the shaft I'm using a 36 inch long 7/8 dowel. Wandering the plumbing aisle of Lowe's, I've found a copper connector for 3/4 inch pipe, that fits the dowel perfectly. I plan on using this on the bottom of the cane for a ferrule. To satisfy my OCD, I want to polish the copper to a mirror finish. Once its attached to the cane, I don't ever plan on touching it again.

What can I use on the copper to maintain the finish and prevent tarnishing? I have a spray can of Rustoleum Clear Gloss Enamel, which I was thinking of using. Will this do what I want? Is there something better? How would you approach this?

Thanks.

Copper is always going to require polishing to maintain the shine. Applying a clear coat is good for a while but the slightest damage will tarnish and is difficult to repair as you have a clear coat to remove before you get to the tarnish. It works OKish for objects that are sat on a shelf and looked at but not something that gets punished like the end of a walking stick. Stainless steel is your best maintenance free option, otherwise keep a can of Brasso handy and give it a daily rub. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Wayne, thanks for telling me that. You know, its not the answer I wanted. I hadn't considered trying to polish it again, after the clear coat went on. That would make it much more difficult, thus way more work than I want. So no clear coat. Brasso it will be.