Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does Having Live Mics in Your Home Bother You?

The daughter and her husband were in a Verison store and left when they didn't get waited on. They later called Verison and they said, I see you were in one of our stores earlier today. They didn't use their phones while they were there.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glenn View Post
    The daughter and her husband were in a Verison store and left when they didn't get waited on. They later called Verison and they said, I see you were in one of our stores earlier today. They didn't use their phones while they were there.
    My guess would be that they had wifi turned on and their phone auto connected to the store wifi. I walked out of a store once, can't recall which store it was, and as I got in the car I got a message asking me to rate my experience visiting the store.

There was an article in the news yesterday regarding employees of Ring (an Amazon company) accessing video of people's homes without their knowledge or permission.

The paranoia doesn't belong to just Big Brother anymore.

It's the megacompanies trying to take targeted advertising to a level on par with that shown in the movie, "Minority Report".
    "Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible." -HGR

I need to have my eyeglass prescription checked - came in here to suggest that at least live mice don't smell as bad as dead ones!

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    The TV remote has a live mic. Our smartphones have live mics. Our computers have live mics, and live cams. And then there's inviting Alexa, or whatever device one chooses, into your home.

Why do I keep thinking of Big Brother?
    it really bothers me that ones privacy can be compromised so easily, mics, smartphones etc and we are not concerned enough to stop it. It is big brother and George Orwell was cognizant enough of the loss of privacy to write a book. What makes me shake my head are individuals who say don't care their privacy is being invaded.

They'll care when it comes back and bites them in the butt. They may have a hard time figuring out how something was found out because they are so nonchalant with the technology.

Maybe those of you with home security and automation systems should watch this episode of a show here in Canada called Marketplace.

https://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episo...curity-devices

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glenn View Post
    It doesn't matter. If they have phones at all, their GPS is tracked. I get notifications on my phone every day "Rate your visit to wherever". You are being tracked everywhere you go.

Just so the "Off" switches really work.

Even if GPS is off you are likely being tracked. Article in the NYT a couple of weeks ago. They can tell very closely where you are based on the communications your phone has with cell towers. The phone companies apparently keep and sell that data.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    It doesn't matter. If they have phones at all, their GPS is tracked. I get notifications on my phone every day "Rate your visit to wherever". You are being tracked everywhere you go.

Keep the GPS, Data, Wifi and bluetooth off all the time until you need it. That way the only thing they can track is by cell tower triangulation.

If you are on an Android go to you google preferences and turn off all the tracking.

And even if you do all of this they still track you by the apps you have in your phone. So apps lie and collect information in the background. Some apps leave traces behind when you uninstall them that report back to the mother ship.

I call my phone my govt tracker, for good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    I've run NoScript for years now. And running it is a chore. Most sites won't run correctly without some scripts running and sometimes you have to choose between letting them run or leaving the site. I've been saved by NoScript at least once that I know of from a pretty bad virus that made it through the advertising feeds on another site. Many people had big troubles and some lost computers and had to start fresh because of it. I never even knew it was there because I was protected.
    Surreptitious crypto currency mining scripts like Coinhive are the latest thing to look out for and block. Some sites (eg: Salon.com) are will ask if it's ok to run a Bitcoin script in exchange for blocking ads, others aren't so transparent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Circo View Post
    Actually, all the Amazon Echo devices have a button on the top to disable the microphone. If you are paranoid or have a visit from a friend named Alexa, use it.
    How do you know that the mute mutton really does anything?

Tell them you are going to blow up the Whitehouse, that should do it.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    Keep the GPS, Data, Wifi and bluetooth off all the time until you need it. That way the only thing they can track is by cell tower triangulation.

If you are on an Android go to you google preferences and turn off all the tracking.

And even if you do all of this they still track you by the apps you have in your phone. So apps lie and collect information in the background. Some apps leave traces behind when you uninstall them that report back to the mother ship.

I call my phone my govt tracker, for good reason.
    That is just great until you need to locate your phone. There is no way to turn those feature on remotely if you lose your phone.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute