Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does Having Live Mics in Your Home Bother You?

Does Having Live Mics in Your Home Bother You?

The TV remote has a live mic. Our smartphones have live mics. Our computers have live mics, and live cams. And then there's inviting Alexa, or whatever device one chooses, into your home.

Why do I keep thinking of Big Brother?
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Why indeed. And YES it bothers me, infuriates me actually-- to be standing in the kitchen talking about dinner and how a bigger soup pot would be nice and to have the wife's iphone immediately pop up an ad for a soup pot--that's un-nerving, wrong and just plain BS. Invasion of privacy isn't near a strong enough description.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I went to the orthopedic surgeon for problems with my knee. She diagnosed arthritis and suggested a knee brace for more strenuous activities. They supply it and insurance pays for it. I rarely use my phone for Internet searches and never for social media. And I never even talked about needing a knee brace let alone doing a web search for one. The next time I did a web search, there was a pop up for a knee brace. So they knew I was at a building where orthopedic surgeons have their offices because I had my phone with me. But how did they know about the knee brace?
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Yes. It bothers me too.
    Yesterday, I couldnt take a picture with my tablet until I enabled the mike.
    Yup. Somebody wants to snoop.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I won't do it. I refuse to have anything listening to me or watching me. Those things do not enter my home, ever.

Blog Entries
    Alexa is in the kitchen and only hears what we want it to hear.
    All the phones are off at night, I am careful to turn my cell phone off when not using it.

Yes, I hate microphones in my house, but I'd never say that aloud...

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Yes, I hate microphones in my house, but I'd never say that aloud...
    No worries. They read your postings too!
    Last edited by David Bassett; 01-15-2019 at 4:39 PM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries
    We have an Amazon Tap where you have to push a button to talk. At least I hope it's not listening when I don't push the button...
    Alexa creeps me out.

Blog Entries
    The other day I saw an Amazon Echo device that had an old school desk phone housing. The only time the mic is connected is when the handset is lifted.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    The other day I saw an Amazon Echo device that had an old school desk phone housing. The only time the mic is connected is when the handset is lifted.
    Actually, all the Amazon Echo devices have a button on the top to disable the microphone. If you are paranoid or have a visit from a friend named Alexa, use it.
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”

Just cuz your paranoid, it doesn't mean they are not out to get you!!!!!!

My "Dot" turns on plays music when my daughter 50 miles away says things. Yes it bother's me!!!

Not real thrilled about that little camera staring at me from the top of my lap top either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    Just cuz your paranoid, it doesn't mean they are not out to get you!!!!!!

My "Dot" turns on plays music when my daughter 50 miles away says things. Yes it bother's me!!!

Not real thrilled about that little camera staring at me from the top of my lap top either.
    Ron, cover the camera on the laptop with blue painter's tape. That's what I did.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Ron, cover the camera on the laptop with blue painter's tape. That's what I did.
    Fred
    Good idea, will do.

Just wait until cameras and real-time face recognition technology are tracking your movements everywhere you go. We're not too far away from an Orwellian world of general surveillance.
    The tug of war seems to be the opportunity for crime prevention and security on one side versus the right to privacy on the other.
    We have all cooperated with a comprehensive database of our photographs linked to our identities when we each obtained or renewed our driver's licenses and passports. Speaking of driver's licenses, our late model cars are listening to us and tracking our movements too.

I think it is possible to avoid most of this surveillance, but over time you will have to work harder and harder at it to the point where resistance may just become futile.