Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local paper is really stretching

Local paper is really stretching

The York Daily Record, ran a front page article today about an "emotional support alligator" https://www.ydr.com/story/opinion/co...th/2569655002/

I can see it now. A suspect is getting the pat down, and the officer starts to reach in the pocket, thinking he found a bundle of drugs, Suspect says" that pocket is where I keep Larry, my "emotional support copperhead."

Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    This has become a huge problem with airlines. Most of the time people get this certification just to make it easier to transport a pet on an airplane. Where I live, it's become an epidemic. I used to work at a facility that trained drug dogs, police dogs, and search and rescue dogs. I see folks getting on planes with animals that are CLEARLY not professional dogs. One dog was even aggressive towards passengers, and one cat meowed the whole flight. They are starting to crack down on this, but it's still a big problem. It messes things up for the real support animal owners. Yes, there are animals that are, for example, trained to sense when people with PTSD are having stress, or when people with epilepsy are about to have a seizure, and I realize these dogs may not look like the typical support dog, but I can assure you, many of the animals I see are NOT support dogs. I know a professional dog when I see one.

What people don't know, or don't care about, is that "emotional support animals" only give you the right to keep 1 specific animal in a no-pets apartment. That's it. It doesn't mean you get to drag them into stores, it doesn't mean you get to take them on airplanes, you can keep it in your no-pets apartment, period. And the only way to get an "emotional support animal" is to go to a licensed and legitimate psychiatrist or psychologist and have them write a permit that's good for one year, then you have to go back. The only currently valid "emotional support animals" out there are dogs or miniature horses. So nobody can have an emotional support peacock. It just isn't a legitimate thing.

I hate humanity sometimes.

A group of good guys on a plane were able to stop some terrorists by using an animal free path.

Blog Entries
    According to how the law is written in Pennsylvania a service dog is any dog that is trained to help a person perform a task that would be extremely difficult or impossible for that person to do on their own......so my Bittany which is trained to find game birds is a service dog because for me to find Pheasants on my own is close to impossible.

A few weeks ago we were out for dinner and while we were eating a group of people came in with three very poorly trained dogs of different breeds that were wearing home made dog jackets that said emotional support dog in training. The even fed the dogs from food on the table.

The service dog and emotional support animal laws need to be clarified to eliminate the abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I see folks getting on planes with animals that are CLEARLY not professional dogs. One dog was even aggressive towards passengers, and one cat meowed the whole flight. They are starting to crack down on this, but it's still a big problem. It messes things up for the real support animal owners. Yes, there are animals that are, for example, trained to sense when people with PTSD are having stress, or when people with epilepsy are about to have a seizure, and I realize these dogs may not look like the typical support dog, but I can assure you, many of the animals I see are NOT support dogs. I know a professional dog when I see one.
    It doesn't have to be a "professional" dog, or even look like one.
    Our son has a dog, "Ruby", that reminds me of a good sized smoked ham. She senses his PTSD symptoms and warns him.

But a Stress Alligator, let alone a Stress Squirrel, is going a bit too far.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I have seen some very sketchy folks in Home Depot with pit bulls. I think the staff is scared to tell them "no". I fear a child running to pet the doggy and losing a hand. Home depots payments will not give that child back a normal childhood. I have been startled by little rat dogs suddenly barking. from a shopping cart as I walk by. Lucky I did not reflectively hit them. If they had been on the ground I would probably have kicked them in a reflective action.
    Bill D.

Who should have to get off the plane when someone has an emotional support cat and a passenger is allergic to cats? Once we were on a flight where there was a cat in a carry on cage, and passenger and cat had to be reseated away from person allergic to cats. Unfortunately the dander is still floating in the air in the cabin. Put your pets in the cargo hole, or leave them home!!!

Some dog trainers will advise people to take their dogs to home depot or lowes to get them used to people, equipment moving around, big metal carts etc. The stores all seem to tolerate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I have seen some very sketchy folks in Home Depot with pit bulls. I think the staff is scared to tell them "no". I fear a child running to pet the doggy and losing a hand. Home depots payments will not give that child back a normal childhood. I have been startled by little rat dogs suddenly barking. from a shopping cart as I walk by. Lucky I did not reflectively hit them. If they had been on the ground I would probably have kicked them in a reflective action.
    Bill D.
    Our dogs go to Home depot sometimes for an outing. our male heeler, Pip, was bit by another dog at home depot and the owner did not even know what happened until he was quickly and bluntly informed by my wife before i could get a word out myself. Pip is a registered Therapy dog, with the requisite training to be around people in medical facilities and public places.

People either steer clear of us or are attracted to our 120 lb Anatolian / Great Pyrenees mix. The staff usually give them treats.

your bias against pits is unfortunate. The anger should be directed at people who have pets and do not treat them with respect / train them.

we also believe that the regulations around service animals need to be tightened.

the

The BORGs seemed to be one of the first businesses that allow dogs. Recently I have seen them in grocery stores as well. As a dog lover I have no problem with registered and trained service animals in businesses but just bringing a pet along should have limits. It is only a matter of time before someone will be severely injured or killed in an business by a non-service animal and the negative publicity and lawsuit that will follow may have the corporate lawyers reevaluate this policy or lack thereof.

My daughter spent big bucks to get her Cocker Spaniel trained as a therapy dog. She tutors Dyslexic kids, some of whom are also ADHD. Just having the dog within reach at their feet does a wonderful job of slowing them down so they can learn.

On the other hand...the dog goes nuts every time the doorbell rings. We set him in 'PLACE', but he sits there almost vibrating. Fortunately she teaches in a private room away from that.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

When we lived closer to Leader Dogs for the Blind in Rochester, MI my ex and I raised 17 puppies for them. During the year that you have each one we teach them obedience commands and some specialized ones. But more important than that is socialization and environment adaptation. With proper identification (scarf or jacket) we would take them to all kinds of stores and restaurants as well as high traffic and high noise areas for them to get used to it.

Federal laws allow service animals to go anywhere the public is allowed and a few states allow the same for service animals in training. Michigan is not one of them. But during all that time we were only refused entrance to two restaurants.

Dogs for leading the blind must be medium/large so that, with a harness, they can be sized for the person. Large dogs are also used for physically handicapped people so they have the strength and size to perform necessary tasks. But other service dogs, like for a hearing impaired person, can be any breed, any size. And what I think started happening is that as pet dog owners started finding this out they would take their pets to places and pawn them off as a service dog. And, unfortunately, it's not that hard to get fake credentials and jackets for the pet to complete the deceit.

I have heard of numerous people doing this but have never heard of anyone getting hit with a serious violation. I don't know, but it might be that there is no law against it.

Myself, I have a German Shepherd who is welcome and well known (for his good behavior) at the local Home Depot. He is a social butterfly and loves kids. He is also well known at all the local Tractor Supply Company's (his favorite stores because he always knows he gets treats there).

Big difference between a business that permits animals and trying to barge into a "no pet" business with a "support" animal. Worse yet, government regulations have the clarity of mud. A few years ago, a wheel chair bound lady had her "service" monkey confiscated by the state wildlife authorities and there was a big brewha over it. She had no state permit, and apparently a federal permit is not required for "service" animals, but the state only exempted permits when there was a federal permit or some such crap. So she was in violation of state law, because she was exempted under federal law. Frankly, for many elderly, a pet is very much a support animal. the health benefits of having a pet are rather well documented. That doesn't mean I think they should be permitted to sit at the table in restaurants. I had a pet great horned owl many decades ago when it was legal here. Igor was great, but the trouble we would have gotten into if we had gone to walmart. When I lived in Miami, I had a pet skunk and took him for walks on a leash. It wasn't my fault the drivers were looking at the skunk and didn't see that traffic stopped. The cop was really nasty about it too. The cop never complained when the bikini clad coeds from the university caused accidents by driver distraction.