Thread: Poseidon's Platter Too

Poseidon's Platter Too

"Poseidon's Platter Too"
    it's 14 1/2" D X 9 1/2" tall. The center is White Oak the Scalloped edge is segmented Walnut, the Dolphins are also Walnut. This piece needed a base so here's what I came up with. The base turned, cut & carved plus I added three hand carved Sea Horses.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce Jones; 01-15-2019 at 11:54 AM.

My Handle is Splinterz25 on most forums.

Jack Of All Master Of None

Absolutely gorgeous.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

Incredibly beautiful!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thank you very much Tom and Ken.

Bruce, that is amazing Sir! I think you've outdone yourself this time.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Awesome work Bruce, you are a true artist!!

The platter itself was excellent, but this combination is a masterpiece! Well done, Bruce! Did you track your time? I can see a lot of hours in this one and plenty of hand sanding.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    The platter itself was excellent, but this combination is a masterpiece! Well done, Bruce! Did you track your time? I can see a lot of hours in this one and plenty of hand sanding.
    Thank you very much John;... this base was made since I posted the platter on the 7th, 6 days of turning, cutting, carving, finishing and photography in between the real job.

Thank you Fred,Daryl,and Keith for your nice comments They are really appreciated.

Fine work indeed! There has been some discussion about making chess sets and the importance of getting the knights right. Your sea horse carvings are top notch and, with just a bit of alteration, would make stunning knights! I know that's a "non sequitur" but carving of this quality is not often seen. And to make several identical pieces like this, well that's even more difficult. Well played...
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    Fine work indeed! There has been some discussion about making chess sets and the importance of getting the knights right. Your sea horse carvings are top notch and, with just a bit of alteration, would make stunning knights! I know that's a "non sequitur" but carving of this quality is not often seen. And to make several identical pieces like this, well that's even more difficult. Well played...
    Thank you David for the nice complement on the carvings; funny you should mention chess sets I've been contemplating making one it would be a tremendous undertaking because of course you would have to make a board / table. You've got me thinking; making a set in a Neptune (King) underwater theme w/ a Mermaid (Queen) and seahorse knights, squid bishops and some other type fish for the other pieces. Thanks for taking time to comment.

Bruce

Masterpiece!
    Many notches above beautiful.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Thank you very much William very nice of you to say; I would also like to thank Kieth Outten for your kind words, I some how missed your post and I think it was you who moved this thread at the top of the page. Thanks again to everyone who took time to comment.