Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pennsylvania Spice Box build

Definitely fun and challenging.

As I mentioned in my last post, I have already worked on the feet. After figuring out a game plan on how I would tackle the pattern of the feet I setup a fence on the drill press and drilled some holes:

IMG_1722_small.jpg

A few slices on the bandsaw to start getting rid of the bulk of the waste:

IMG_1724_small.jpg

Now with most of the waste gone I needed to trim up the two outside curves:

IMG_1725_small.jpg

After a little clean up work I have a set of feet ready for the next steps:

IMG_1730_small.jpg

More to come.

Thanks for following along.

Dennis

Inlaid initials are ok, I don't see them as neccesary. And I really dislike that modern date form, much better to write
    something in an inconspicuous place using hand writing instead of "Morse code"dashes. Those Antique Roadshow guys are pretty sharp and are sure to "discover" names and dates written by skilled maker.

More progress is being made. I now have the dovetails done for the case, but I think I still need to make a few adjustments to finalize them. I think they are respectable for my first ones, fortunately they will be covered by the molding and won't be seen.

IMG_1751_small.jpgIMG_1753.JPGDYZS3342_small.jpg

I also need to trim (right side piece) the opening for the door now that I know exactly where the bottom of the false top is going to be. Once the grooves on the insides of the side piece are done I can begin working on the dividers.

Dennis

I've moved away from working on the dividers and started on the door. I wanted to get the panel the proper size before I start the inlay work.

Here I cut a simple jig to guide the chisel for the mitered cuts on the beading.

1E2A0002.jpg1E2A0003.jpg

Here's a test fit.

1E2A0005.jpg

Turned out pretty good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Next I had to cut the arch in the top rail and then add the groove for the panel.

1E2A0006.jpg1E2A0009.jpg1E2A0007.jpg

Once that was complete I had to do the beading.

1E2A0012.jpg

After cutting the tenons for the top rail I dry fitted the pieces together.

1E2A0014.jpg

Now I'll come up with a game plan for the inlay work.

Dennis

I now have the inlay work completed for the front and back of the door panel. The only thing left is to personalize it.

Here's the front:

IMG_1802_small.jpg

And here's the back:

IMG_1801_small.jpg

I've watched a couple of videos on doing the lettering and I don't think it'll be too difficult. Anyhow, it's good to challenge yourself and grow your experiences. The first thing I have to do is get a couple of the carving gouges that will allow me to create the curves in the letters. Then practice the letters before I do the real thing!

Dennis

Blog Entries
    Great project- thanks for sharing! Space between false top and show cabinet top is good opportunitiy for hidden compartment accessed via sliding cabinet back. The drawer backs/bottoms also opportunities for hidden compartments.

I'm probably overboard with hidden compartments - I made one as wedding gift and that was their favorite part.

I look forward to the rest of the build.

Cheers, Mike

Very nice Dennis..great progress. The stringing looks terrific. I spy a tool I also use and combined with a bit finese works well. Thanks for the update!

Looks great. There is an article in this months FWW on letter carving that was very informative.

Mike,

I think the hidden compartment and drawer are pretty cool too. I plan to put some photos of the couple’s (recipients of the gift) wedding and a camping trip we took 20+ years ago in the hidden compartment and see if they can find them. Of course, I’ll probably have to tell them there is a hidden compartment!

Phil,

Thanks. ‘Over all’ the stringing does look good, but if you look close there are plenty of areas that could be better. I’m sure I’m like most of us, critical of our own work. I actually started on the front side and improved as I went. I think the back side has much cleaner joints and corners. By the time I got to the back I started using additional tools, like I tiny chisel and a modified dental pick to help with the process. The next inlay job will be even better!

Todd,

Thanks. I don’t have a subscription for FWW, but I did look up the article, correct me if I’m wrong, was it for carving lettering? The lettering I plan to do is just like the stringing. I did watch a video by Steve Latta showing how he did his lettering for his spice box, very helpful.

I have just under 8 weeks to finish the project. I’m going to try to get the dividers done this weekend. After that there is the lettering for the door panel then assemble the door, molding top and bottom, feet and all the drawers! The molding profile and the feet are already done, so it’s just adding them to the case. Then finally doing the finish. So the most time consuming part will be all the drawers.

Thanks for following along.

Dennis

Sorry, yes it was letter carving. I have one of Steve Latta’s dvds but haven’t watched the entire thing yet. Your project is really inspiring me to do that and start a new project.

Todd,

Likewise, I saw your thread on your Federal table, looks great. I have one that I started awhile back, but shelved it to finish this project.

Dennis

I completed all the dividers and the back panel:

IMG_1821_small.jpgIMG_1822_small.jpg

I have a couple of carving gouges coming this week, so this weekend I'll begin on the lettering for the door panel. After that I have 12 drawers to make!

Dennis

Here's the latest:

IMG_1859_small.jpgIMG_1861_small.jpgIMG_1862_small.jpg

My deadline is fast approaching, only 5 weeks to go.

Dennis

I now have all the drawers assembled and the faces have been veneered:

IMG_0029_small.jpg

I still need to get the door personalized. I'll probably just do the letter 'F' for their last name, since I'm running out of time.

As for the finish, I'm planning on using the Minwax Antique Oil Finish and either wax or a wipe on poly for some shine. Would it be better to just use multiple coats of the wipe on poly instead of the oil finish?

Almost there!

Dennis