Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pennsylvania Spice Box build

Forgot to ask about finishing the drawers. Is the entire drawer typically finished or just the outside face?

Thanks,

Dennis

Typically not the inside. You'll never get the odor of the finish out from the inside.

Beautiful work.
    Last edited by Charles Taylor; 06-08-2019 at 7:10 AM.
    Chuck Taylor

Dennis, it looks great. Very nice work!

Regarding the drawers, I finish the front with whatever is used for the rest of the piece, however I don’t use any oil based finish on the sides or anywhere on the inside of the drawer. The smell can last forever and in your case will likely ruin any spice within. Because your drawer fronts are behind doors, I probably would only use shellac, even on the door fronts. I trust others with more experience will chime in.

Thanks Phil,

The finish is just about done.

IMG_0034_small.jpgIMG_0037_small.jpgIMG_0038_small.jpg

Here's another look at the side in different light:

IMG_0036_small.jpg

Most of the drawer faces need another coat of oil to bring the shine up a little more:

IMG_0035_small.jpg

The door panel should be finished in a day or two, then assembled, oiled and hung. so next weekend it'll be complete.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    Typically not the inside. You'll never get the odor of the finish out from the inside.

Beautiful work.
    This.

I finished the inside of a humidor once using the same oil finish I used on the outside. I figured finishing the inside of the outer shell wouldn't be a problem since it would be lined with cedar anyway. I figured wrong. It took forever for the stink to go away.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    I cannot believe the number of times I have come to this thread to and have never left one comment!?!

Coming along nicely. I feel like I should make up for all the positive comments I should have left as you went along but, they will be out of context ;-) suffice to say; nice work, enjoying the ride, thanks for taking us along.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Very nice work....Interesting piece..Always wanted to build one....good job...Thank you for posting
    Jerry

Glenn and Jerry, thanks for the comments.

Last month I purchased a few Pfeil gouges to create the curves for the lettering, which was going to be 'GFJ', but I've since scaled it back to just the letter 'F' for their last name. In the end all it took was 11 cents and an X-Acto blade! Although the narrow flat gouge I got did came in handy.

IMG_0039_small.jpg IMG_0041_small.jpg

More pieces going in:

IMG_0044_small.jpg

The small piece to the left was real fun, took a couple of tries to get a good fit. I used basswood, which is soft, and that helped too. Once I could get the bottom of the piece to fit in, it was then pushed in and compressed with a block of wood. It's a tedious process and this is where I left off last night. I'll finish the top piece this evening, then sand, prep and apply a coat of finish.

Dennis

Finished up the 'F' last night and got it sanded and cleaned:

IMG_0049_small.jpg

Applied the first coat of oil last night and I'll get the second coat on tonight.

Dennis

Looks great!

thanks Todd.

Here's the assembled door:

IMG_0066_small.jpgIMG_0067_small.jpg

More work to do this afternoon, but it looks like it'll be finished on Sunday.

Dennis

It's getting better every step of the way. Nice job.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Pennsylvania Spice Box - Finished

The spice box was completed over the weekend. It has been quite the journey, lots of fun, occasional frustration and some long days. After I took the pictures Sunday evening and had to box it up so I could ship it out on Monday. We'll meet again on Thursday in Coeur d'Alene, then I'll unpack it then surprise my friends with this as a 20th wedding anniversary gift. They think I'm shipping my camera equipment up for my Yellowstone trip!

1E2A0031.jpg1E2A0026.jpg1E2A0060.jpg1E2A0056.jpg1E2A0044.jpg1E2A0032.jpg1E2A0042.jpg1E2A0034.jpg

BTW, I do plan to make another one for my soon-to-be fiancee and myself.

Thanks for the interest in this project and following along.

Dennis

Really beautiful results...very well done.

Jerry,

Thanks for the comments.

Is there any way to change the thread title to indicate it’s complete? I changed it in my last post, but it didn’t change the original.

Dennis