Thread: Author mentioned in The Woodwright’s Shop ep. #3613 “Staked Furniture”

Author mentioned in The Woodwright’s Shop ep. #3613 “Staked Furniture”

Just saw this (w/ Christopher Schwarz as guest) this past Saturday and thought the premise quite insightful:

>There are only two kinds of furniture: boxes and platforms

and apparently this was attributed to an author --- did anyone catch the attribution or better still the attribution?

You should be able to view past episodes online:
    http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/w...ason-episodes/

You will have to select your local station, and maybe sign up. But it is free for the last 12 years. Although the last year is just a 'Best-of' selection.

I found it in last years' list.
    Last edited by Jay Larson; 01-14-2019 at 1:46 PM.

Chris Schwarz??!!! There's a name you don't hear much anymore.... Any opinions on that guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Sheehan View Post
    Chris Schwarz??!!! There's a name you don't hear much anymore.... Any opinions on that guy?
    Oh crap. Please don't open THAT can of worms again. We just had a duke it out on that over the holidays. Go look for a thread by Lowell Holmes. Edit: Here's a link, and it ain't purty.... LINK
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 01-14-2019 at 2:32 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Way back in 1968, a friend of mine cited that concept, and then elaborated on it, saying that furniture was for putting stuff in or on. I don't know if he'd read the book.

When I took woodworking classes, my teacher told us that most furniture was box making.

I think that concept has been recognized for a long time.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Sterling View Post
    Clearly, I’ve given myself over to my odd ideas about furniture and am wallowing in my own… pig excrement at this point. But the option is to wallow in someone else’s historical excrement, which could have more corn kernels than is to my liking.

— Christopher Schwarz

There was once some staked furniture in my neighborhood. I have a neighbor who lives at the end of a long driveway and in the election seasons he often puts political signs at the road. On year a few weeks before election a lawn chair was set up next to the signs. Amongst the neighbors we thought it might have fallen off a truck or something. It turned out it was staked furniture; there were tent stakes holding it down.

A few days before the election I got the idea that the neighbor was hoping to "unseat" the incumbent, thus the chair.

You live on a platform, then they put you in a box.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Thanks! Added for my next book order.