Thread: Jet DC1100VCX is 25 feet of piping to much?

Jet DC1100VCX is 25 feet of piping to much?

Please see the image i have drawn...

My workshop is a 30x46 climate controlled room built within a 40x60 pole shed.

I want to put my dust collector on the outside of the room against the wall and using "through the wall connections) run some piping in the workshop area so i can simply pull my tools from against the wall to the middle of the room and use them when needed. My ceiling height is 16 feet high.

When I am not woodworking i would pull the dust collector back into the climate controlled room to avoid moisture from the shed when it sweats.

My questions are:

Is this to much pipe for a single 1100CFM dust collector -I use only one tool at a time. Blast gates are shut on all other tools when using them

Do i want to run the PCV piping along the floor, 4 feet up from the floor, overhead etc....

Thanks

D

001.jpg
    Ridgid R4513 jobsite saw, Ridgid R4512 Table saw, Ridgid JP601 jointer/planer,
    Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust collector, Bosch 1617 EVSPK router, Bosch RA1181 router table, Rikon 10-326 Band saw
    Dewalt 735 planer, Fuji Q5Platinum HVLP,

IMHO, you'll be fine if you size the duct properly, use long sweep changes of direction where absolutely necessary and limit yourself to a single tool at one time. Your DC isn't "really" 1100 CFM in the real world, but it should support 600-800 CFM with properly sized 5-6" main ductwork (whichever matches the inlet size of your DC...I forget what that model has) and efficient layout. The one thing in your sketch that concerns me is that you will have to carefully engineer your wye setup to split into two directions here without adding a lot of constriction. Consider moving the two branches out over the actual tools instead of being on the wall as that lets you have more options for transitioning the wall and coming into the DC.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the same dust collector. My garage is 30'x30'.

I have one run along the ceiling, which right angle and continues for about another 15'. With the drop, my furthest run is about 50'-54' before the blast gate and then the flexible hose that goes to the machines.

I use 15' long, 4" diameter flex hose on two drops and a 2.5" x 20' on the furthest drop.

My Jet is broken up into a two stage now. It has no problem sucking shavings or sawdust from a machine or used for vacuuming the floor.

Chris, what diameter are you using for the main piping?

I have an older 1100 with canister (no vortex plate). I have the collector close to my tools, connected with 4” flex. It will collect planer chips, but isn’t enough for dust collection with tools that don’t have excellent dust shrouds

Matt

Have you checked to make sure you filter isn't clogged?

My metal duct is 5". I wish I had a better photo for you.

In the video below, you can see the duct that runs along the ceiling to the fine drop behind me. In the video, I'm using the closest drop, which uses a 15' long 4" did flex hose.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I have the same dust collector. My garage is 30'x30'.

I have one run along the ceiling, which right angle and continues for about another 15'. With the drop, my furthest run is about 50'-54' before the blast gate and then the flexible hose that goes to the machines.

I use 15' long, 4" diameter flex hose on two drops and a 2.5" x 20' on the furthest drop.

My Jet is broken up into a two stage now. It has no problem sucking shavings or sawdust from a machine or used for vacuuming the floor.
    I watched the video....What/how are you adapting the hose to the ductwork...im having a hellva time trying to go from hose to PVC
    Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust collector, Bosch 1617 EVSPK router, Bosch RA1181 router table, Rikon 10-326 Band saw

The port on the right; I have a plastic 5" to 4" reducer (Rockler I think) that slid into the metal tube, the duct tape holds it in and seals it. Then a 4" flexible boot that connects the plastic 5"-4" to a 4" blast gate.

The left port: 5" to 4" plastic reducer, 4" to 4" rubber boot to the blast gate. A 4" rubber boot and a 4" to 2.5" plastic reducer.

You can also sometimes take some appropriate sheet metal and "roll a sleeve" that you can slip inside of the PVC which in turn will more readily adapt to things like commercial blast gates like shown in Chris's photos. One of the challenges with PVC duct work is that it really wasn't designed for the purpose so one has to be a little creative sometimes to do the deed. It's also only available in "even number" sizes which means that if your "ideal" duct size for a main or for a drop is 5", you can't use PVC.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the pics...Great help!