Thread: Supernova 2 worn scroll ring.

Supernova 2 worn scroll ring.

Supernova 2 chuck has a worn scroll ring. Some ring grooves are worn away or missing. It is just five months old and is having resistance or stoping tightening and loosening. Has anyone had this problem before? I have never had a problem with my other Nova chucks, G3 and Titian. Have contacted Nova and waiting to see what they will do. Roger Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Roger M. Davis View Post
    Supernova 2 chuck has a worn scroll ring. Some ring grooves are worn away or missing. It is just five months old and is having resistance or stoping tightening and loosening. Has anyone had this problem before? I have never had a problem with my other Nova chucks, G3 and Titian. Have contacted Nova and waiting to see what they will do. Roger Davis
    Never heard of such a thing and I have several used Nova chucks. I thought the slides and scroll plates were hardened steel. I'd check it with a small triangular file and see if the steel is soft, perhaps compare with one of the other chucks. If the thing wasn't used in a grit blasting environment or heated in a fire, I'd suspect a manufacturing defect.

If you bought it new they should replace the whole chuck:
    "Nova chucks and accessories are backed by a 6-Year Full Replacement comprehensive warranty."

I think you are right. I use it every day but have also used the other Nova chucks a bunch. Have not heard back from Nova but have a ticket number. Let's see if they will back up their products. Roger Davis.

Are the teeth worn or chipped and broken? Maybe the ring gear was hardened too much. How are the teeth on the pinion gears? This may have also caused some collateral damage to them. How well do the pinion gears mesh up with the scroll plate? I'm just wondering if there was too much free play somewhere that led to poor meshing.
    Bill

Hello Bill, nothing else is even scratched. The scroll ring seems to be worn or even missing some of the groves. The good news is that after one call to Tecnatool I have received a brand new Supernova 2. This is great, it demonstrates what a good company should do to keep its customers happy. Roger