Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work boot suggestions

Work boot suggestions

Hey All,

Been wearing New balance sneakers for some time, but my feet are giving me some problems and I know years ago when I mixed up my shoes I had better luck with my feet. Used to wear the old Carolina low work shoe, but I think they stopped making them. Any suggestions appreciated. I have a working gear near me and will probably go shopping for them in next week or so. I last had a pair of Red Wing and while they were nice boots, my feet never felt comfortable i them.

Thanks,
    Ron

I wear safety toe work boots on the farm 12 - 16 hours a day 7 days a week.

After trying just about every major brand over the years, what currently is the most comfortable for me are boots made by Keen. I wear their "Assembled in the USA" Detroit model, and also their Mt. Vernon boot which is fully mfg in the USA.

They have a spongy insole which helps on concrete surfaces, and the shape of the boot fits my foot.

Custom orthotics or semi-custom [Dr Scholls etc] might make red wing the ticket--at least it works for me.

Blog Entries
    I last had a pair of Red Wing and while they were nice boots, my feet never felt comfortable i them.
    My feeling is the same on that one.

A friend in nursing told me about Chippewa shoes:

https://www.chippewaboots.com/?gclid...BoCeEMQAvD_BwE

You might check to see if there is a retailer in your area.

You might also ask folks in professions who spend a lot of time on their feet like police officers, nurses and doctors or even clerks at the grocery check out.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I buy my footwear a bit oversized and add insoles to make a good fit and add padding. My arches are high and insoles that raise the arches are hard to find so there's that. (most raise the heel) And custom orthotics are expensive and tend to be hard plastic which lets your heel slip around.

If you don't mind tying your boots then boots are fine. Since we switch to slippers in the house and I am in and out a lot and in the shop a lot, that doesn't work for me. Most of my footwear slips on and off. Just leave the laces tied very loose.

My usual shoes are Keen sneakers.

I use Sketchers Go Walk 4 shoes with "off the shelf custom" inserts to correct for posture, etc. (there's a machine in places like Bed, Bath & Beyond that helps determine which insert to use) Since I started working in my shop this way, I've had much less issue with body pain. I use the same inserts in my non-work footwear now, too, for consistency. Some folks will want or need actual custom inserts, but I'm lucky enough to be able to use the packaged versions successfully at much lower cost.

I have never been able to wear "work boots" comfortably. The one exception has been Ariat Terrain paddock boots because they have an actually well designed instep. But even those are not as comfortable as what I describe in the first paragraph of my response.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have used Wolverine Dura Shock boots for years along with Red Wings. Look for boots that are designed for work on concrete floors. Be fussy over proper fit, do not accept what is in stock at a particular store when you know that the fit is not right. Look for a shoe store that services industrial companies and has a retail outlets near you. E-business is not your friend when looking for fit.

I spent 7 years working in the field on oil rigs, on shore, off shore from north Dakota and Wyoming at 30 below zero to the center of Australia at 135 degrees.

I wore and still have my last pair of composite toe wolverine boots from the field. I tried several other brands and always came back to wolverines
    I have seen other boots fall apart due to the glue melting in the heat and crack due to the cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    I spent 7 years working in the field on oil rigs, on shore, off shore from north Dakota and Wyoming at 30 below zero to the center of Australia at 135 degrees.

I wore and still have my last pair of composite toe wolverine boots from the field. I tried several other brands and always came back to wolverines
    I have seen other boots fall apart due to the glue melting in the heat and crack due to the cold.

Thanks Adam, I hope you are well compensated...........................Those are extreme working conditions!

Thanks everyone for your time, I will be going shopping with those suggestions in mind.

Ron

I am fortunate to live near the Amish and they sell many brands of boots that are really good. I normally buy Red Wing and from the stores down there they are a lot cheaper then the Red Wing stores in the city.

I wore Red Wing 2156 Truwelt when I was full time Roofing it’s darn good boot. Really comfortable
    I wish I could afford a pair today my feet hurt.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I wore Red Wing 2156 Truwelt when I was full time Roofing it’s darn good boot. Really comfortable
    I wish I could afford a pair today my feet hurt.
    They are cheaper than having to go to the doctor. I had heal spurs and the Doc suggested
    Red Wing shoes and orthotics. I have been doing this for 25 years now and my feet are still good.

Make sure you are wearing the right size.

I thought I was a 10.5EE, but a competent shoe guy said they were uncomfortable because I was really a 11.5D. A lot of extra room in the toes, but otherwise a good fit. Go figure.

I have a pair of Danner Trackwelt, 8" tall. I always liked boots with plenty of ankle support. I also like Merrill boots as well.