Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Work boot suggestions

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I use Sketchers Go Walk 4 shoes with "off the shelf custom" inserts to correct for posture, etc. (there's a machine in places like Bed, Bath & Beyond that helps determine which insert to use) Since I started working in my shop this way, I've had much less issue with body pain. I use the same inserts in my non-work footwear now, too, for consistency. Some folks will want or need actual custom inserts, but I'm lucky enough to be able to use the packaged versions successfully at much lower cost.

I have never been able to wear "work boots" comfortably. The one exception has been Ariat Terrain paddock boots because they have an actually well designed instep. But even those are not as comfortable as what I describe in the first paragraph of my response.
    Funny- I walked across Italy in a pair of Sketchers, and then went to France the following year- same pair- walked a good way across France.

For the OP: I am glad you posted this, because I'm also looking for some good work shoes/boots. I considered having a pair made, and was searching for custom-made work boots, and found that Timberland actually allows you to customize a limited number of their boots for less than half what a true custom-made boot would cost.
    https://www.timberland.com/custom.html

I don't know what your price range is but it's around the price of RedWings at just over $200, which is much better than a true custom-made boot, which is more than double that. I have a wide foot, and I'm also really picky about boots ever since my cowboy days and I used to have my boots made by Olathe Boots.

I wore Wolverine Durashock and Carolina r boots in the shop, but grew up on Moccasin Wedge boots. I finally found Timberland Barstow Wedge Boots for a good price, and they are very comfortable.

I like my Chippewa work boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    I buy my footwear a bit oversized and add insoles to make a good fit and add padding. My arches are high and insoles that raise the arches are hard to find so there's that. (most raise the heel) And custom orthotics are expensive and tend to be hard plastic which lets your heel slip around.

If you don't mind tying your boots then boots are fine. Since we switch to slippers in the house and I am in and out a lot and in the shop a lot, that doesn't work for me. Most of my footwear slips on and off. Just leave the laces tied very loose.

I do this - BUT, I choose boots that have 'speed laces' at the top - no untying needed; they slip off & on. The 'speed' is a hook rather than a hole for the lace to go around instead of through.
    I bought Wolverine boots - Black Friday.

After 10 years, I'm on my second pair (similar to Chainhand but don't recognize the name and not near them at the moment - waterproof, uninsulated, 6")

I also have some less 'work boot-like' boots that I do the same thing with - Merrell and Columbia come to mind but have owned numerous brands with speed laces for easy on/off and comfort with extra store-bought insoles. We walked ~7-8 miles a day in Phila last Oct and the Merrell Moab 2 with extra insoles worked very well.

Wish I had known the 1/2 size larger trick when I got my Red Wing boots as a teen! Still have them, but rarely need the steel toe anymore.

-Mike

My husband lives in work boots all winter and work shoes all summer. He says Keen are the best for both comfort and durability.

I just scarfed a pair of Keen utility boots with a hard toe on clearance from Duluth Trading...this after sending back a pair of the heavier, leather type I did a try/buy from Amazon. I could not stand the weight of the leather work boots in any way, shape or form. The Keen Utilities I got are heavier than the Sketchers I normally wear every day (I have a shop pair and a "dress" pair ) but are reasonable in heft and comfort. 'Still have to use my insoles in them, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A bit of an old thread, but FWIW I live in these. If you want lighter, they offer a carbon toe - but price is higher.

Great soles - for walking or standing. Slip on is great, so I don't get tempted to wear them into the SWMBO domain!

Malcolm, I had a pair of Ariat Terrain boots for years and they were actually comfortable. They are a little different than you show, of course, but I bought them originally for riding (equestrian) before I bought tall boots for that activity. Ariat tends to put good arch support in their shoes which is important to me. I almost tried something from them for my "construction" need for 2022, but the Keens I mentioned suddenly became a no-brainer cost wise to buy.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I have been wearing Keens lately they have a nice roomy toe box. The glued on soles are a weak point.
    Best Regards, Maurice