Thread: Tormek Anglemaster - can't set bevel angle

Tormek Anglemaster - can't set bevel angle

Hi guys,
    I installed a Tormek rig on my low speed grinder with 8" CBN wheel. I'm having trouble figuring out how to accurately set an angle with the Tormek Anglemaster (WM200). Im using the SE77 straight edge jig to hold the chisel. (It's fussy but it seems to work fine.)

1. I set the angle to 25* and ground a chisel. It was great. Except that my PROTRACTOR told me the final bevel was 30*, not 25 as I'd set it to be. Hmmmm?!
    2. Next I set up and ground a 15* bevel on an Aldi I use for paring. Got a lovely, even grind and a sharp tool. But the PROTRACTOR says the bevel is 20*, not 15*. Imagine my cursing!

Two bad angles, each offset by 5* from what I set up to grind. That protractor has always been accurate. And Tormeks have a good reputation. So this has got to be me not setting the Tormek hardware up right, right?
    3. So I go watch 3 videos and confirmed I know how to set the WM200.
    4. Then I take off the CBN wheel and measure the diameter. Turns out it is not precisely 8". It is 7 7/8" - that's 200 mm, which means the actual wheel diameter is 3 mm smaller than the 8" diameter I'd used for steps 1 and 2. So I reset the WM200 for 200 mm.
    5. I put the chisel from step 1 back in the straight edge jig, resting the bevel so that the bevel is touching the wheel at all points. (This should let me use the WM200 to see what bevel the grinder is set to cut.) Good news - now the WM200 tells me it's set to cut a 30* bevel, which matches what the protractor says.
    6. But when I repeat step 5 using the chisel from step 2, the WM200 still tells me the bevel is 15*, NOT 20* like the protractor says.

I've checked and re-checked step 6 with no change. That bevel really is 20*. Why does the WM200 keep telling me it should be 15*? I've gotta be missing something obvious. Anyone see what it is?

Thank you!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I hate that thing. What I do instead is make a setting template for each angle I use. I have them for skews, NRS, etc. Here are some for my 8" CBN wheels - I make them out of plastic sheet then paint the back white for visibility.

_scrapers_IMG_7811.jpg template_angle_IMG_7898.jpg template_angle_IMG_7894.jpg

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Hi guys,
    I installed a Tormek rig on my low speed grinder with 8" CBN wheel. I'm having trouble figuring out how to accurately set an angle with the Tormek Anglemaster (WM200). Im using the SE77 straight edge jig to hold the chisel. (It's fussy but it seems to work fine.)

1. I set the angle to 25* and ground a chisel. It was great. Except that my PROTRACTOR told me the final bevel was 30*, not 25 as I'd set it to be. Hmmmm?!
    2. Next I set up and ground a 15* bevel on an Aldi I use for paring. Got a lovely, even grind and a sharp tool. But the PROTRACTOR says the bevel is 20*, not 15*. Imagine my cursing!

Two bad angles, each offset by 5* from what I set up to grind. That protractor has always been accurate. And Tormeks have a good reputation. So this has got to be me not setting the Tormek hardware up right, right?
    3. So I go watch 3 videos and confirmed I know how to set the WM200.
    4. Then I take off the CBN wheel and measure the diameter. Turns out it is not precisely 8". It is 7 7/8" - that's 200 mm, which means the actual wheel diameter is 3 mm smaller than the 8" diameter I'd used for steps 1 and 2. So I reset the WM200 for 200 mm.
    5. I put the chisel from step 1 back in the straight edge jig, resting the bevel so that the bevel is touching the wheel at all points. (This should let me use the WM200 to see what bevel the grinder is set to cut.) Good news - now the WM200 tells me it's set to cut a 30* bevel, which matches what the protractor says.
    6. But when I repeat step 5 using the chisel from step 2, the WM200 still tells me the bevel is 15*, NOT 20* like the protractor says.

I've checked and re-checked step 6 with no change. That bevel really is 20*. Why does the WM200 keep telling me it should be 15*? I've gotta be missing something obvious. Anyone see what it is?

Thank you!
    Fred

Fred, you cannot rely on the Anglemaster for accuracy. However, you can rely on it for consistency -- once you have set it up for accuracy. I found that the factory settings were a few degrees off. With a little trial-and-error practice, I got it spot on. I emphasise, however, that being spot on is not really the important issue. The important issue is being able to return to the same setting as before.

Regards from Perth

Derek

John, Derek,
    Thank you! That thing was driving me batty. Now that I know "it ain't just me", I can use trial and error on a cheap chisel to get a more accurate understanding of settings. I reallly do like this rig on my grinder.

John, I think I've found a way to leave the guard on after all. If the prototype holds up, it really does reduce the dust and hopefully the risk of sparks stating a dust fire. Still testing it out.....

Derek, I changed up the mount from what you did. I'm testing an idea that actually lets me grind from on top, like a "real" Tormek does. That let's me leave the guard on. I don't know if that idea will hold up, but it seems to work well for my situation.

I'm still at the prototype stage, but once I get everything as I want it, I'll post pics for comments and criticisms/improvements. Again, thank you guys!

Fred

Thanks again guys!
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 01-14-2019 at 7:09 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I was just struggling with the same thing - regrinding a set of chisels, and found I had to set the Anglemaster to 28 degrees to match a 30 deg. setting on the Veritas honing jig. Once I did that, the honing jig started to pick up the Tormek hollow grind just right. I have no idea how the 2 degree discrepancy crept in, but now that I know it's there, the grinder and honing jig are registering very consistently (at 30 degrees).